About Surface Topography: Metrology and Properties
Surface Topography: Metrology and Properties™ (STMP) publishes the latest physics, chemistry, life science, materials science and engineering research on applied, functional surfaces. STMP also publishes cross-disciplinary work on surface and interface engineering, helping researchers to share common themes on surface properties across an array of different applications. The journal looks at surfaces from the fundamental, applied and natural sciences, at any and all length scales.
STMP covers the modelling, design and characterisation of modified surfaces, as well as the structure–function relationship between the surface properties and their application. It aims to present the measurement of topography of surfaces and interfaces, and to highlight the connection between this and their resultant properties. Broadly, it includes:
- Multiscale metrology of surfaces and interfaces
- Static properties of surfaces and interfaces
- Dynamic properties of surfaces and interfaces
- Non-physical properties of surfaces and interfaces
Emerging research areas have at their core the need for sound correlations between surface morphology and performance, thus STMP covers this gap. We require in submissions for STMP the use of thorough surface characterization and state-of-the art surface metrology.
Why should you publish in Surface Topography: Metrology and Properties?
- High standards
- Fast publication: we are committed to providing you with a quick, professional service to ensure rapid first decision, acceptance and publication. Once accepted, your article will be accessible to readers within 24 hours and will include a citable DOI.
- Open access
- Transfer opportunities: as well as accepting direct submissions, the journal also offers you a quick and easy solution to transfer your manuscript from another IOP Publishing journal if it does not fit that journal’s scope or significance criteria. Articles are transferred along with peer review reports to save time and avoid duplication of work for reviewers.
- International Editorial Board
- Society owned: IOP Publishing is a leading society publisher of advanced physics research.
- Any profits generated by IOP Publishing are invested in the Institute of Physics, helping to support research, education and outreach around the world.
- Papers: reports of original research work.
- Topical Reviews: these are intended to summarize accepted practice and report on recent progress in selected areas.
- Focus issue articles: articles which will form a special collection of papers on a specific theme, often invited by the issue’s Guest Editor(s).
- Special Issue Articles: invited articles, which will form a special collection of papers on a specific theme. When asked to select ‘Article Type’ on the submission system, please select ‘Special Issue Article’. Then select the special issue you’re submitting to in the drop down box that appears.
Our Publishing Support website provides more information on our reviewing process.
If an article is not accepted for publication in Surface Topography: Metrology and Properties, we may offer the author the opportunity to transfer their submission to other suitable journals we publish. This process is explained in more detail on our Publishing Support website.
Inclusivity and diversity
IOP Publishing recognises that there are inequalities within the scientific publishing and research ecosystems. We are committed to a progressive approach to inclusivity and diversity, and are working hard to eliminate discrimination to foster an equitable and welcoming publishing environment for all.
IOP Publishing follows Guidelines on Inclusive Language and Images in Scholarly Communication to ensure that journal articles use bias-free and culturally sensitive communication. We ask authors to please follow these guidelines in their manuscript submissions.
More information about our work on inclusivity is available on our Open Physics hub.
Please note that this policy requires authors to include a data availability statement in their article.
For any questions about the policy please contact the journal.
Many research funders now require authors to make all data related to their research available in an online repository. Please refer to the policy for further information about research data, data repositories and data citation.
Alternatively authors who do not select the gold open access option can choose a green open access route to publication.
Publication on a subscription-access basis is free of charge.
|Article publication charge*||£2230||€2560||$3075|
|Reduced article publication charge* for Group B countries**||£500||€575||$675|
|Reduced article publication charge for Group A countries**||£0||€0||$0|
*excluding VAT where applicable
**eligibility criteria can be found here
APCs only apply to articles accepted for publication; there are no submission charges.
There are no other charges for publishing in Surface Topography: Metrology and Properties.
Transformative AgreementsSurface Topography: Metrology and Properties is included in our transformative agreements which allow authors from some institutions to publish open access without paying an APC.
If you are covered by an agreement, use our author guide to help you submit your paper.
Countries where we have transformative agreements include:
Austria, Canada, Croatia, Finland, Hungary, Ireland, Israel, Germany, Poland, The Netherlands, United Kingdom, Saudi Arabia, Slovenia, Sweden and Switzerland.
Paying for open access
Various discounts, waivers and funding arrangements are available to support our authors. Visit our Paying for open access page for further details.
Abstracting and indexing services
- Web of Science: Science Citation Index Expanded
- Google Scholar
- NASA ADS
- Aerospace Database
- ANTE: Abstracts in New Technologies and Engineering
- Applied Science and Technology Index
- Applied Science and Technology Abstracts
- OCLC Worldcat
- Chemical Abstract Service