About Plasma Research Express
Plasma Research ExpressTM is a broad, multidisciplinary journal devoted to publishing new experimental and theoretical research covering all areas of fundamental, engineering and applied plasma science at low and high temperatures. The journal is committed to fast review and publication of research in all areas of plasma science, including interdisciplinary fields. It operates a transparent editorial selection and feedback process focused on the scientific rigour of the work, rather than its perceived impact or novelty. The journal is characterized by article length flexibility and a fast-track peer-review process.
Topics of particular interest include:
- Plasma science and technology for interdisciplinary applications to materials science, nanotechnology, micro-optics, medicine and biology, chemistry and processing, and environmental technology
- High temperature plasmas and controlled fusion
- Laser-plasma, high energy density plasma science, and warm dense matter
- Plasma diagnostics, plasma instrumentation and facilities
- Plasma modelling and simulations
- Nonlinear phenomena in natural and laboratory plasmas
- Design rules and operation mechanisms of plasmas sources for industrial applications
- Instabilities and turbulence in astrophysical and space plasmas
- Fundamental principles and data for plasma-surface interactions
- Electromagnetic interactions of charged particles and beams
- Data-driven plasma science
Plasma Research Express welcomes contributions reporting the underlying physics mechanisms and their wide implications through the viewpoint of plasma science, to connect the interdisciplinary applications of a wide range of temperature and density of plasmas.
Why should you publish in Plasma Research Express?
“Plasma Research Express is aimed at all plasma scientists, in all parts of the world and will build upon the world leading reputation IOP Publishing already has in plasma physics. Through the viewpoint of plasma science the journal’s multidisciplinary coverage will reflect the complete breadth of how research in the field now intersects with the physics, astrophysics, materials, chemistry, biomedical and engineering communities.”
Professor Hae June Lee Founding Editor-in-Chief, Pusan National University, Republic of Korea.
- Scope: new experimental and theoretical research covering all areas of fundamental, engineering and applied plasma science at low and high temperatures. Plasma Research Express has been designed to represent all plasma scientists worldwide with a subject coverage that reflects how plasma science today now interfaces with communities extending across physics, materials science, astrophysics, bioscience, chemistry and engineering.
- High standards: the peer review process is managed by IOP Publishing’s expert peer review team, who work closely with the Editorial Board to provide a rapid, high quality service.
- Fast publication: we are committed to providing you with a fast, professional service to ensure rapid first decision, acceptance and publication. Once accepted, your article will be accessible to readers within 24 hours and will include a citable DOI.
- Open access: Plasma Research Express is a hybrid open access journal; this is a publishing model in which subscription-based journals give authors the choice to make individual articles available on an open access basis (on payment of an article publication charge).
- Transfer opportunities: as well as accepting direct submissions, the journal also offers you a quick and easy solution to transfer your manuscript from another IOP Publishing journal if it does not fit that journal’s scope or significance criteria. Articles are transferred along with peer review reports to save time and avoid duplication of work for reviewers.
- International Editorial Board: scientific leadership for Plasma Research Express is provided by the Editor-in-Chief, supported by an international Editorial Board, with a broad scientific and geographical distribution.
- Society owned: IOP Publishing is a leading society publisher of advanced physics research. Any profits generated by IOP Publishing are invested in the Institute of Physics, helping to support research, education and outreach around the world.
Plasma Research Express welcomes submissions of the following types:
- Research papers. Articles of unlimited length that report new research.
- Technical notes. Brief, methods-based articles of a more technical nature, which make a useful and novel addition to the literature.
- Topical reviews. Articles presenting a snapshot of recent progress in a particular field.
- Tutorials. Background knowledge for an audience unfamiliar with the subject. Aimed at early career researchers or more experienced researchers moving into a new field, tutorials give an introduction to the topic and are more didactic than a review article.
Our Publishing Support website provides more information on our reviewing process.
If an article is not accepted for publication in Plasma Research Express, we may offer the author the opportunity to transfer their submission to other suitable journals we publish. This process is explained in more detail on our Publishing Support website.
Inclusivity and diversity
IOP Publishing recognises that there are inequalities within the scientific publishing and research ecosystems. We are committed to a progressive approach to inclusivity and diversity, and are working hard to eliminate discrimination to foster an equitable and welcoming publishing environment for all.
More information about our work on inclusivity is available on our Open Physics hub.
Please note that this policy requires authors to include a data availability statement in their article.
For any questions about the policy please contact the journal.
Many research funders now require authors to make all data related to their research available in an online repository. Please refer to the policy for further information about research data, data repositories and data citation.
Alternatively authors who do not select the gold open access option can choose a green open access route to publication.
Publication on a subscription-access basis is free of charge.
|Article publication charge*||£1570||€1790||$2115|
|Reduced article publication charge* for Group B countries**||£500||€575||$675|
|Reduced article publication charge for Group A countries**||£0||€0||$0|
*excluding VAT where applicable
**eligibility criteria can be found here
APCs only apply to articles accepted for publication; there are no submission charges.
There are no other charges for publishing in Plasma Research Express.
Transformative AgreementsPlasma Research Express is included in our transformative agreements which allow authors from some institutions to publish open access without paying an APC.
If you are covered by an agreement, use our author guide to help you submit your paper.
Countries where we have transformative agreements include:
Austria, Canada, Croatia, Finland, Hungary, Ireland, Israel, Germany, Poland, The Netherlands, United Kingdom, Saudi Arabia, Slovenia, Sweden and Switzerland.
Paying for open access
Various discounts, waivers and funding arrangements are available to support our authors. Visit our Paying for open access page for further details.
Abstracting and indexing services
We work with our authors to make help their work as easy to discover as possible. Articles published in Plasma Research Express will be available in relevant indexing services and databases when appropriate.
- Chemical Abstracts Service
- NASA Astrophysics Data System
- Naver Academic