About Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering
Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering™ (MSMSE) is an international journal serving the multidisciplinary materials science community, publishing new research on novel modelling strategies and/or simulation tools to establish the processing-structure-properties link in materials from atomic to macroscale. In particular, the journal welcomes submissions that:
- Address innovative theoretical or computational studies of material structure and behaviour, examining materials evolution at the electronic-, atomic- and meso-scale, in relation to mechanical, chemical, electronic, optical, biological or biomedical properties.
- Develop innovative multiscale modelling strategies (atomistic-continuum, transition state theory, homogenization, etc).
- Apply machine learning, learning systems, and data-driven tools for microstructural analysis, processing and properties simulation and materials discovery.
- Uses new software-enabled methods, analysis tools, cyberinfrastructure, high-throughput computational strategies for materials characterization, discovery and design.
The journal considers modelling and simulation papers on a broad range of materials including ceramics, metals, glasses, semiconductors, polymers, biological materials, composites, etc. Papers on solid materials, interfaces, and materials issues concerning surfaces, defects and microstructure are of particular interest. Moreover, the journal intends to be a forum in which all the details of modelling and simulation are presented.
Papers intended for the journal must have their primary emphasis on the development of novel modelling strategies or simulation tools, or on understanding of fundamental issues of the processing-structure-properties link.
Why should you publish in Modelling and Simulation in Material Science and Engineering (MSMSE)?
- High standards: the Executive Editorial Board oversees peer review of manuscripts submitted to the journal to ensure that articles meet the highest quality standards. This Board consists of the leading experts in the materials modelling and simulation community.
- Fast publication: we are committed to providing you with a fast, professional service to ensure rapid first decision, acceptance and publication. Once accepted, your article will be accessible to readers within 24 hours and will include a citable DOI.
- Open access: MSMSE is a hybrid open access journal.
- Transfer opportunities: as well as accepting direct submissions, the journal also offers you a quick and easy solution to transfer your manuscript from another IOP Publishing journal if it does not fit that journal’s scope or significance criteria. Articles are transferred along with peer review reports to save time and avoid duplication of work for reviewers.
- International Editorial Board: MSMSE is led by the Executive Editorial Board, a team of experts in modelling and simulation of materials with multidisciplinary research interests.
- Society owned: IOP Publishing is a leading society publisher of advanced physics research. Any profits generated by IOP Publishing are invested in the Institute of Physics, helping to support research, education and outreach around the world.
MSMSE welcomes submissions of the following article types:
- Research papers: articles of unlimited length that report original research work.
- Special issue articles: invited articles, which form a special collection of papers on a specific theme.
- Topical reviews: invited review articles, which present the background to and overview of a particular field, and the current state of the art.
- Roadmaps: invited contributions on a specific theme, which are authored collaboratively by leading researchers in a field, providing an overview on the status, current and future challenges, and advances in science and technology needed to meet challenges.
- Viewpoints: invited perspectives, which comment on work previously published in the journal, typically to highlight the impact and influence of seminal works.
Our Publishing Support website provides more information on our reviewing process.
If an article is not accepted for publication in Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering, we may offer the author the opportunity to transfer their submission to other suitable journals we publish. This process is explained in more detail on our Publishing Support website.
Inclusivity and diversity
IOP Publishing recognises that there are inequalities within the scientific publishing and research ecosystems. We are committed to a progressive approach to inclusivity and diversity, and are working hard to eliminate discrimination to foster an equitable and welcoming publishing environment for all.
More information about our work on inclusivity is available on our Open Physics hub.
Please note that this policy requires authors to include a data availability statement in their article.
For any questions about the policy please contact the journal.
Many research funders now require authors to make all data related to their research available in an online repository. Please refer to the policy for further information about research data, data repositories and data citation.
Alternatively authors who do not select the gold open access option can choose a green open access route to publication.
For more information on IOP Publishing’s open access policies please see our Open access page. For our author rights policies please see our Author rights page.
Publication on a subscription-access basis is free of charge.
Authors have the option to pay the following article publication charge (APC) to publish their article on an open access basis under a Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) licence.
|Article publication charge*||£2230||€2560||$3075|
|Reduced article publication charge* for Group B countries**||£500||€575||$675|
|Reduced article publication charge for Group A countries**||£0||€0||$0|
*excluding VAT where applicable
**eligibility criteria can be found here
APCs only apply to articles accepted for publication; there are no submission charges.
There are no other charges for publishing in Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering.
Transformative AgreementsModelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering is included in our transformative agreements which allow authors from some institutions to publish open access without paying an APC.
Find out if you’re covered by an agreement
If you are covered by an agreement, use our author guide to help you submit your paper.
Countries where we have transformative agreements include:
Austria, Canada, Croatia, Finland, Hungary, Ireland, Israel, Germany, Poland, The Netherlands, United Kingdom, Saudi Arabia, Slovenia, Sweden and Switzerland.
Paying for open access
Various discounts, waivers and funding arrangements are available to support our authors. Visit our Paying for open access page for further details.
Abstracting and indexing services
We work with our authors to help make their work as easy to discover as possible. MSMSE is currently included in the following abstracting and discovery services:
- Chemical Abstracts Service
- CNKI Scholar
- EBSCO Academic Search Alumni Edition
- EBSCO Academic Search Complete
- EBSCO Academic Search Elite
- EBSCO Academic Search Premier
- EBSCO Academic Search Ultimate
- EBSCO Engineering Collection: India
- EBSCO Engineering Source
- EBSCO STM Source
- EBSCO TOC Premier
- Ei Compendex
- INIS (International Nuclear Information System)
- NASA Astrophysics Data System
- VINITI Abstracts Journal (Referativnyi Zhurnal)
- Web of Science (Science Citation Index, Science Citation Index Expanded, Current Contents – Engineering, Computing & Technology)