About Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter
Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter™ covers the whole of condensed matter physics including soft matter, biophysics and the physics of chemical processes. Papers may report experimental, theoretical and simulation studies. We will also consider papers that cover the fundamental physics of applications and devices. Note that papers must contain fundamental condensed matter science: papers reporting methods of materials preparation or properties of materials without novel condensed matter content will not be accepted.
To be publishable in Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter papers must fit the scope of the journal and meet the highest scientific quality standards. In addition, they should contain significant and original new science and make a substantial advance within a particular area of condensed matter physics.
Papers are published under the following subject sections:
Why should you publish in Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter?
- High standards: uniquely bridging cutting-edge multidisciplinary research across all areas of condensed matter physics and the transition of those findings into new discoveries and innovative technologies.
- Global readership: accessed by more than 3500 institutions worldwide.
- Fast publication: we are committed to providing you with a fast, professional service to ensure rapid first decision, acceptance and publication. Once accepted, your article will be accessible to readers within 24 hours and will include a citable DOI.
- Open access: open access options are available on this title.
- Transfer opportunities: as well as accepting direct submissions, the journal also offers you a quick and easy solution to transfer your manuscript from another IOP Publishing journal if it does not fit that journal’s scope or significance criteria. Articles are transferred along with peer review reports to save time and avoid duplication of work for reviewers.
- International Editorial Board: our dedicated team of Editorial Board members are made up of leading experts covering all areas of applied physics from around the world.
- Society owned: IOP Publishing is a leading society publisher of advanced physics research. Any profits generated by IOP Publishing are invested in the Institute of Physics, helping to support research, education and outreach around the world.
Papers: reports of original research work; normally not more than 8500 words. Articles must contain significant and original new science and make a substantial advance within condensed matter physics.
Letters: letters are outstanding short papers reporting new and timely developments in condensed matter physics. There is a length limit of six pages (4500 words). Authors submitting letters should provide justification as to why the work is urgent and requires rapid publication.
Topical reviews: these present a snapshot of recent progress in a particular field, containing a mixture of review and original research and should be between 10 000–15 000 words. They are also mainly commissioned by the Editorial Board but submitted reviews will also be considered.
Special issue articles: invited articles, which will form a special collection of papers on a specific theme. When asked to select ‘Article Type’ on the submission system, please select ‘Special Issue Article’. Then select the special issue you’re submitting to in the drop-down box that appears.
Comments: comment or criticism on work previously published in the journal. These are usually published with an associated reply.
Perspectives: perspective articles are short commentaries authored by some of the leading researchers in the condensed matter physics community, aimed at highlighting the significance, impact, and future directions of cutting-edge research published in the Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter.
Authors of all articles are required upon submission to disclose any potential conflict of interest (e.g. employment, consulting fees, industrial research contracts, stock ownership, equity interests, patent-licensing arrangements, honoraria, etc) in their covering letter. If the article is subsequently accepted for publication, this information should be included in an acknowledgments section. Authors should also note that the journal fully endorses the principles embodied in the Declaration of Helsinki. All investigations involving humans must be conducted in accordance with these principles and in accordance with local statutory requirements. Articles relying on clinical trials should quote the trial registration number at the end of the abstract. We also encourage the registration of such studies in a public trials registry prior to publication of the results in the journal. All investigations involving animal experimentation must be conducted in accordance with the Guiding Principles for Research Involving Animals and Human Beings as adopted by The American Physiological Society, and with local statutory requirements.
Our Publishing Support website provides more information on our reviewing process.
If an article is not accepted for publication in Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter, we may offer the author the opportunity to transfer their submission to other suitable journals we publish. This process is explained in more detail on our Publishing Support website.
Inclusivity and diversity
IOP Publishing recognises that there are inequalities within the scientific publishing and research ecosystems. We are committed to a progressive approach to inclusivity and diversity, and are working hard to eliminate discrimination to foster an equitable and welcoming publishing environment for all.
More information about our work on inclusivity is available on our Open Physics hub.
Please note that this policy requires authors to include a data availability statement in their article.
For any questions about the policy please contact the journal.
Many research funders now require authors to make all data related to their research available in an online repository. Please refer to the policy for further information about research data, data repositories and data citation.
Alternatively authors who do not select the gold open access option can choose a green open access route to publication.
Publication on a subscription-access basis is free of charge.
|Article publication charge*||£2125||€2440||$2930|
|Reduced article publication charge* for Group B countries**||£500||€575||$675|
|Reduced article publication charge for Group A countries**||£0||€0||$0|
*excluding VAT where applicable
**eligibility criteria can be found here
APCs only apply to articles accepted for publication; there are no submission charges.
There are no other charges for publishing in Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter.
Transformative AgreementsJournal of Physics: Condensed Matter is included in our transformative agreements which allow authors from some institutions to publish open access without paying an APC.
If you are covered by an agreement, use our author guide to help you submit your paper.
Countries where we have transformative agreements include:
Austria, Canada, Croatia, Finland, Hungary, Ireland, Israel, Germany, Poland, The Netherlands, United Kingdom, Saudi Arabia, Slovenia, Sweden and Switzerland.
Paying for open access
Various discounts, waivers and funding arrangements are available to support our authors. Visit our Paying for open access page for further details.
Abstracting and indexing services
We work with our authors to help make their work as easy to discover as possible. Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter is currently included in the following abstracting and discovery services:
- Chemical Abstracts Service
- CNKI Scholar
- Ei Compendex
- INIS (International Nuclear Information System)
- NASA Astrophysics Data System
- VINITI Abstracts Journal (Referativnyi Zhurnal)
- Web of Science (Science Citation Index, Science Citation Index Expanded, Current Contents – Physical, Chemical & Earth Sciences)
- Yewno Unearth