About Journal of Neural Engineering
The goal of Journal of Neural Engineering™ is to act as a forum for the interdisciplinary field of neural engineering where neuroscientists, neurobiologists and engineers can publish their work in one periodical that bridges the gap between neuroscience and engineering. The journal publishes articles in the field of neural engineering at the molecular, cellular and systems levels.
The scope of the journal encompasses experimental, computational, theoretical, clinical and applied aspects of:
- Innovative neurotechnology
- Brain-machine (computer) interface
- Neural interfacing
- Bioelectronic medicines
- Neural prostheses
- Neural control
- Optical neural engineering
- Neural circuits: artificial & biological
- Neuromorphic engineering
- Neural tissue regeneration
- Neural signal processing
- Theoretical and computational neuroscience
- Systems neuroscience
- Translational neuroscience
Why should you publish in Journal of Neural Engineering?
- High standards: impartial, constructive and rigorous peer review led by the Editorial Board.
- Fast publication: we are committed to providing you with a quick, professional service to ensure rapid first decision, acceptance and publication. Once accepted, your article will be accessible to readers within 24 hours and will include a citable DOI.
- Full compliance with NIH Public Access Policy: we upload NIH-funded papers to PubMed Central on behalf of authors.
- Open access: Journal of Neural Engineering offers authors the option to publish fully Open Access.
- Transfer opportunities: as well as accepting direct submissions, the journal also offers you a quick and easy solution to transfer your manuscript from another IOP Publishing journal if it does not fit that journal’s scope or significance criteria. Articles are transferred along with peer review reports to save time and avoid duplication of work for referees.
- International Editorial Board.
- Society owned: IOP Publishing is a leading society publisher of advanced physics research. Any profits generated by IOP Publishing are invested in the Institute of Physics, helping to support research, education and outreach around the world.
Journal of Neural Engineering welcomes submissions of the following article types:
- Papers: descriptions of original scientific research, techniques and applications; not normally more than 12 000 words (14 journal pages). All research papers should show strong evidence validating the scientific hypothesis, or the novelty, performance or comparative advantage of the technique or application.
- Notes: brief articles which would not normally merit publication as a full Paper but still make a useful and novel addition to the literature, not normally more than 4000 words.
- New review article proposals: we welcome proposals for topical review articles. Authors who are considering writing a review article should submit a brief synopsis of their article consisting of a title, abstract and list of headings and sub headings to the Editorial office: email@example.com.
- Topical reviews: intended to summarize accepted practice and report on recent progress in selected areas; generally commissioned by the Editorial Board, from experts in various fields.
- Perspectives: personal view on a particular research topic or discipline.
- Tutorials: background knowledge for an audience unfamiliar with the subject.
- Comments and replies: comments on, or criticisms of, previously published work or comments on general scientific matters; not normally more than 1800 words (two journal pages).
Journal of Neural Engineering has a structured format for abstracts. The abstract of your paper must be split into the following headings:
- Main results
Authors of all articles are also required upon submission to disclose any potential conflict of interest (e.g. employment, consulting fees, industrial research contracts, stock ownership, equity interests, patent-licensing arrangements, honoraria, etc) in their covering letter.
If the article is subsequently accepted for publication, this information should be included in an acknowledgments section.
Authors should also note that the journal fully endorses the principles embodied in the Declaration of Helsinki. All investigations involving humans must be conducted in accordance with these principles and in accordance with local statutory requirements. Articles relying on clinical trials should quote the trial registration number at the end of the abstract. We also encourage the registration of such studies in a public trials registry prior to publication of the results in the journal. All investigations involving animal experimentation must be conducted in conformity with the ‘Guiding Principles for Research Involving Animals and Human Beings’ as adopted by The American Physiological Society.
Our Publishing Support website provides more information on our reviewing process.
If an article is not accepted for publication in Journal of Neural Engineering, we may offer the author the opportunity to transfer their submission to other suitable journals we publish. This process is explained in more detail on our Publishing Support website.
Inclusivity and diversity
IOP Publishing recognises that there are inequalities within the scientific publishing and research ecosystems. We are committed to a progressive approach to inclusivity and diversity, and are working hard to eliminate discrimination to foster an equitable and welcoming publishing environment for all.
More information about our work on inclusivity is available on our Open Physics hub.
Please note that this policy requires authors to include a data availability statement in their article.
For any questions about the policy please contact the journal.
Many research funders now require authors to make all data related to their research available in an online repository. Please refer to the policy for further information about research data, data repositories and data citation.
Alternatively authors who do not select the gold open access option can choose a green open access route to publication.
Publication on a subscription-access basis is free of charge.
|Article publication charge*||£2125||€2440||$2930|
|Reduced article publication charge* for Group B countries**||£500||€575||$675|
|Reduced article publication charge for Group A countries**||£0||€0||$0|
*excluding VAT where applicable
**eligibility criteria can be found here
APCs only apply to articles accepted for publication; there are no submission charges.
There are no other charges for publishing in Journal of Neural Engineering.
Transformative AgreementsJournal of Neural Engineering is included in our transformative agreements which allow authors from some institutions to publish open access without paying an APC.
If you are covered by an agreement, use our author guide to help you submit your paper.
Countries where we have transformative agreements include:
Austria, Canada, Croatia, Finland, Hungary, Ireland, Israel, Germany, Poland, The Netherlands, United Kingdom, Saudi Arabia, Slovenia, Sweden and Switzerland.
Paying for open access
Various discounts, waivers and funding arrangements are available to support our authors. Visit our Paying for open access page for further details.
Abstracting and indexing services
We work with our authors to help make their work as easy to discover as possible. Journal of Neural Engineering is currently included in the following abstracting and discovery services:
- ISI (Science Citation Index®, SciSearch®, Materials Science Citation Index®, Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition, ISI Alerting Services)
- BIOSIS Previews/Biological Abstracts
- Current Awareness in Biological Sciences
- NASA Astrophysics Data System
- VINITI Abstracts Journal (Referativnyi Zhurnal)