About Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering
Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering™ (JMM) primarily covers experimental work, however relevant modelling papers are considered where supported by experimental data.
The journal is focussed on all aspects of:
- nano- and micro- mechanical systems
- nano- and micro- electomechanical systems
- nano- and micro- electrical and mechatronic systems
- nano- and micro- engineering
- nano- and micro- scale science
Please note that we do not publish materials papers with no obvious application or link to nano- or micro-engineering.
Below are some examples of the topics that are included within the scope of the journal:
- MEMS and NEMS:
- Including sensors, optical MEMS/NEMS, RF MEMS/NEMS, etc.
- Fabrication techniques and manufacturing:
- Including micromachining, etching, lithography, deposition, patterning, self-assembly, 3d printing, inkjet printing.
- Packaging and Integration technologies.
- Materials, testing, and reliability.
- Micro- and nano-fluidics:
- Including optofluidics, acoustofluidics, droplets, microreactors, organ-on-a-chip.
- Lab-on-a-chip and micro- and nano-total analysis systems.
- Biomedical systems and devices:
- Including bio MEMS, biosensors, assays, organ-on-a-chip, drug delivery, cells, biointerfaces.
- Energy and power:
- Including power MEMS/NEMS, energy harvesters, actuators, microbatteries.
- Including flexible electronics, wearable electronics, interface electronics.
- Optical systems.
Why should you publish in Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering?
- High standards: fast, rigorous and constructive reviewing process.
- Fast publication: we are committed to providing you with a quick, professional service to ensure rapid first decision, acceptance and publication. Once accepted, your article will be accessible to readers within 24 hours and will include a citable DOI.
- Open access: the choice to make individual articles available on an open access basis (on payment of an article publication charge).
- Transfer opportunities: as well as accepting direct submissions, the journal also offers you a quick and easy solution to transfer your manuscript from another IOP Publishing journal if it does not fit that journal’s scope or significance criteria. Articles are transferred along with peer review reports to save time and avoid duplication of work for reviewers.
- International Editorial Board: led by Weileun Fang, National Tsing Hua University, Taiwan.
- Society owned: IOP Publishing is a leading society publisher of advanced physics research. Any profits generated by IOP Publishing are invested in the Institute of Physics, helping to support research, education and outreach around the world.
JMM welcomes submissions of the following article types:
- Papers: reports of original scientific research, techniques and applications. Up to 14 journal pages.
- Technical Notes: these are technical communications containing material typically insufficient for publication as a full scientific article but revealing new technical procedures. A Technical Note should be sufficiently detailed and in-depth to further the technical know-how of the community and help the development of novel devices. Up to eight journal pages.
- Topical Reviews: review articles commissioned by the Editorial Board. Topical Reviews should present the background to and general overview of the field, report on progress and discuss the current state of the art.
- Special Issue articles: each special issue collection serves to highlight the exciting work conducted in specific areas of interest. Articles are commissioned by the Guest Editors.
Our policy on conference material submitted to JMM
JMM will not consider the same research already published in a well-known conference proceedings publication and which is readily accessible to the community. Manuscripts submitted to JMM should contain substantially more research and analysis than the original conference paper published by the same authors. Upon submission, we ask authors to declare all their previously published conference papers that are similar in content to any submission made to JMM.
Our Publishing Support website provides more information on our reviewing process.
If an article is not accepted for publication in Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, we may offer the author the opportunity to transfer their submission to other suitable journals we publish. This process is explained in more detail on our Publishing Support website.
Inclusivity and diversity
IOP Publishing recognises that there are inequalities within the scientific publishing and research ecosystems. We are committed to a progressive approach to inclusivity and diversity, and are working hard to eliminate discrimination to foster an equitable and welcoming publishing environment for all.
More information about our work on inclusivity is available on our Open Physics hub.
Please note that this policy requires authors to include a data availability statement in their article.
For any questions about the policy please contact the journal.
Many research funders now require authors to make all data related to their research available in an online repository. Please refer to the policy for further information about research data, data repositories and data citation.
Alternatively authors who do not select the gold open access option can choose a green open access route to publication.
For more information on IOP Publishing’s open access policies please see our Open access page. For our author rights policies please see our Author rights page.
Publication on a subscription-access basis is free of charge.
Authors have the option to pay the following article publication charge (APC) to publish their article on an open access basis under a Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) licence.
|Article publication charge*||£2230||€2560||$3075|
|Reduced article publication charge* for Group B countries**||£500||€575||$675|
|Reduced article publication charge for Group A countries**||£0||€0||$0|
*excluding VAT where applicable
**eligibility criteria can be found here
APCs only apply to articles accepted for publication; there are no submission charges.
There are no other charges for publishing in Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering.
Transformative AgreementsJournal of Micromechanics and Microengineering is included in our transformative agreements which allow authors from some institutions to publish open access without paying an APC.
Find out if you’re covered by an agreement
If you are covered by an agreement, use our author guide to help you submit your paper.
Countries where we have transformative agreements include:
Austria, Canada, Croatia, Finland, Hungary, Ireland, Israel, Germany, Poland, The Netherlands, United Kingdom, Saudi Arabia, Slovenia, Sweden and Switzerland.
Paying for open access
Various discounts, waivers and funding arrangements are available to support our authors. Visit our Paying for open access page for further details.
Abstracting and indexing services
We work with our authors to make help their work as easy to discover as possible. JMM is currently included in the following abstracting and discovery services:
- Chemical Abstracts Service
- CNKI Scholar
- EBSCO Academic Search Alumni Edition
- EBSCO Academic Search Complete
- EBSCO Academic Search Elite
- EBSCO Academic Search Premier
- EBSCO Academic Search Ultimate
- EBSCO Engineering Source
- EBSCO Nanotechnology Collection: India
- EBSCO STM Source
- EBSCO TOC Premier
- Ei Compendex
- INIS (International Nuclear Information System)
- NASA Astrophysics Data System
- VINITI Abstracts Journal (Referativnyi Zhurnal)
- Web of Science (Science Citation Index, Science Citation Index Expanded, Current Contents – Engineering, Computing & Technology)