About Engineering Research Express
Engineering Research Express™ is a broad, multidisciplinary journal devoted to publishing new experimental and theoretical research covering topics extending across all areas of engineering science including interdisciplinary fields. The journal is committed to fast review and operates a transparent editorial selection and feedback process focused on the scientific rigour of the work, rather than its perceived impact or novelty. The journal is characterized by article length flexibility and a fast-track peer-review process.
Topics of particular interest include:
- Electrical Engineering – including control engineering, quantum engineering, electronic engineering, optical engineering, power engineering and semiconductor engineering.
- Mechanical Engineering – including aeronautical engineering, automotive engineering and vacuum engineering.
- Civil Engineering – including environmental engineering, hydraulic engineering, ocean and geophysical engineering, and structural engineering.
- Chemical Engineering – including bioengineering, food science, chemical synthesis and refining, materials engineering and microfabrication.
- Data/AI Engineering and Robotics – including information engineering, cybersecurity, systems engineering, automation and control, image recognition and processing, Internet of Things, big data and algorithms.
- Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering – including manufacturing engineering, production systems, additive manufacturing, quality and reliability engineering.
Why publish with Engineering Research Express?
- Broad scope: Engineering Research Express has been designed to represent all engineering scientists worldwide with a subject coverage that reflects how engineering today now interfaces with communities extending across physics, materials science, chemistry, bioscience, and the industry sector.
- Inclusive peer-review policy: No subjective assessment is made on the potential future significance or perceived novelty of your paper. Instead we focus on the scientific rigour of the work and its contribution to our knowledge within engineering science.
- High standards: Engineering Research Express operates a transparent editorial selection and feedback process focused on scientific validity and rigour. Articles will be peer reviewed by IOP Publishing’s global network of expert reviewers.
- Fast publication: We are committed to providing you with a fast, professional service to ensure rapid first decision, acceptance and publication. Once accepted, your article will be accessible to readers within 24 hours and will include a citable DOI.
- Transfer opportunities: As well as accepting direct submissions, the journal also offers you a quick and easy solution to transfer your manuscript from another IOP Publishing journal if it does not fit that journal’s scope or significance criteria. Articles are transferred along with peer review reports to save time and avoid duplication of work for reviewers.
- Society owned: IOP Publishing is a leading society publisher of advanced physics research. Any profits generated by IOP Publishing are invested in the Institute of Physics, helping to support research, education and outreach around the world.
Inclusive publishing and trusted science
As a society-owned publisher with a legacy of serving scientific communities, we are committed to offering a home to all scientifically valid and rigorously reviewed research. In doing so, we aim to accelerate the dissemination of scientific knowledge and the advancement of scholarly communications to benefit all.Engineering Research Express supports this mission and actively demonstrates our core values of inclusive publishing and trusted science:
- Inclusive publishing: We welcome all papers on the basis of scientific validity and a strong methodology. Our scope is inclusive of many types of research including interdisciplinary, null and negative results, and replication studies.
- Trusted Science: Peer review is the backbone to trustworthy scientific scholarly communications. Our internal peer review process assesses all papers with strict scientific and ethical standards.
Engineering Research Express welcomes submissions of the following article types:
- Research Papers: articles of unlimited length that report new research.
- Topical Reviews: articles presenting a snapshot of recent progress in a particular field.
- Technical Notes: brief, methods-based articles of a more technical nature, which make a useful and novel addition to the literature.
- Tutorials: background knowledge for an audience unfamiliar with the subject. Aimed at early career researchers or more experienced researchers moving into a new field, tutorials give an introduction to the topic and are more didactic than a review article.
Engineering Research Express’ statement regarding the inclusion of potentially offensive or inappropriate imagery in submitted papers:
We ask authors to carefully consider both the subject matter and provenance of images included in their work before submitting to the journal. If the submitted images could be potentially offensive to the journal’s readership or violate copyright, Engineering Research Express reserves the right to request that authors seek alternative images or other means to express the same results before the final version is published.
The following summary describes the peer review process for Engineering Research Express, using the ANSI/NISO Standard Terminology for Peer Review:
- Identity transparency: single-anonymous, double-anonymous (author choice)
- Reviewer interacts with: Editor
Our Publishing Support website provides more information on our reviewing process as well as checklists in both English and Chinese language to help authors prepare their manuscripts for submission.
If an article is not accepted for publication, we may offer the author the opportunity to transfer their submission to other suitable journals we publish.
Inclusivity and diversity
IOP Publishing recognises that there are inequalities within the scientific publishing and research ecosystems. We are committed to a progressive approach to inclusivity and diversity, and are working hard to eliminate discrimination to foster an equitable and welcoming publishing environment for all.
IOP Publishing follows Guidelines on Inclusive Language and Images in Scholarly Communication to ensure that journal articles use bias-free and culturally sensitive communication. We ask authors to please follow these guidelines in their manuscript submissions.
More information about our work on inclusivity is available on our Open Physics hub.
Alternatively authors who do not select the gold open access option can choose a green open access route to publication.
Publication on a subscription-access basis is free of charge.
|Article publication charge*||£1650||€1880||$2220|
|Reduced article publication charge* for Group B countries**||£500||€575||$675|
|Reduced article publication charge for Group A countries**||£0||€0||$0|
*excluding VAT where applicable
**eligibility criteria can be found here
APCs only apply to articles accepted for publication; there are no submission charges.
There are no other charges for publishing in Engineering Research Express.
Transformative AgreementsEngineering Research Express is included in our transformative agreements which allow authors from some institutions to publish open access without paying an APC.
If you are covered by an agreement, use our author guide to help you submit your paper.
Countries where we have transformative agreements include:
Austria, Canada, Croatia, Finland, Hungary, Ireland, Israel, Germany, Poland, The Netherlands, United Kingdom, Saudi Arabia, Slovenia, Sweden and Switzerland.
Paying for open access
Various discounts, waivers and funding arrangements are available to support our authors. Visit our Paying for open access page for further details.
Please note that this policy requires authors to include a data availability statement in their article.
For any questions about the policy please contact the journal.
Many research funders now require authors to make all data related to their research available in an online repository. Please refer to the policy for further information about research data, data repositories and data citation.
Abstracting and indexing services
We work with our authors to help make their work as easy to discover as possible. Articles published in Engineering Research Express will be available in relevant indexing services and databases when appropriate.
- Baidu Scholar
- EI Compendex
- NASA Astrophysics Data System
- Naver Academic
- R Discovery
- Semantic Scholar
- Wanfang Data
- Web of Science (Emerging Sources Citation Index)