About Bioinspiration & Biomimetics
Bioinspiration & Biomimetics™ publishes research involving the study and distillation of principles and functions found in biological systems that have been developed through evolution, and application of this knowledge to produce novel and exciting basic technologies and new approaches to solving scientific problems. It provides a forum for interdisciplinary research which acts as a pipeline, facilitating the two-way flow of ideas and understanding between the extensive bodies of knowledge of the different disciplines. It has two principal aims: to draw on biology to enrich engineering and to draw from engineering to enrich biology.
The journal aims to include input from across all intersecting areas of both fields. In biology, this would include work in all fields from physiology to ecology, with either zoological or botanical focus. In engineering, this would include both design and practical application of biomimetic or bioinspired devices and systems.
Typical areas of interest include:
- Systems, designs and structure
- Communication and navigation
- Cooperative behaviour
- Self-organizing biological systems
- Self-healing and self-assembly
- Aerial locomotion and aerospace applications of biomimetics
- Biomorphic surface and subsurface systems
- Marine dynamics: swimming and underwater dynamics
- Applications of novel materials
- Biomechanics; including movement, locomotion, fluidics
- Cellular behaviour
- Sensors and senses
- Biomimetic or bioinformed approaches to geological exploration
The journal is aimed at a broad scientific and international audience across a wide spectrum of disciplines from the biological and physical sciences. Therefore, contributions should be written keeping in mind the interdisciplinary nature of the field and specialized terms should be concisely explained.
Why publish in Bioinspiration & Biomimetics?
- High standards: fast, fair and constructive interdisciplinary peer review.
- Fast publication: we are committed to providing you with a speedy, professional service to ensure rapid first decision, acceptance and publication. Once accepted, your article will be accessible to readers within 24 hours and will include a citable DOI.
- Open access: open access option—for more details see the IOP Publishing open access policy page.
- Transfer opportunities: as well as accepting direct submissions, the journal also offers you a quick and easy solution to transfer your manuscript from another IOP Publishing journal if it does not fit that journal’s scope or significance criteria. Articles are transferred along with peer review reports to save time and avoid duplication of work for reviewers.
- Society owned: IOP Publishing is a leading society publisher of advanced physics research. Any profits generated by IOP Publishing are invested in the Institute of Physics, helping to support research, education and outreach around the world.
- Well indexed: full compliance with NIH Public Access Policy. We upload NIH-funded papers to PubMed Central on behalf of authors.
- Far reaching: large worldwide readership and regular press releases.
- Data driven: supplementary data enhancements, e.g. computer simulations or video clips can be added to your article.
Bioinspiration & Biomimetics welcomes submissions of the following article types:
- Research Papers: comprehensive, fully documented reports of original research, not normally more than 10 000 words.
- Perspectives: personal views on a particular research topic or discipline.
- Notes: brief articles which would not normally merit publication as a full Paper but still make a useful and novel addition to the literature, not normally more than 4000 words.
- Tutorials: background knowledge for an audience unfamiliar with the subject.
- Topical Reviews: critical evaluations of the existing state of knowledge on a particular topic or research area.
Our Publishing Support website provides more information on our reviewing process.
If an article is not accepted for publication, we may offer the author the opportunity to transfer their submission to other suitable journals we publish. This process is explained in more detail on our Publishing Support website.
Inclusivity and diversity
IOP Publishing recognises that there are inequalities within the scientific publishing and research ecosystems. We are committed to a progressive approach to inclusivity and diversity, and are working hard to eliminate discrimination to foster an equitable and welcoming publishing environment for all.
More information about our work on inclusivity is available on our Open Physics hub.
Please note that this policy requires authors to include a data availability statement in their article.
For any questions about the policy please contact the journal.
Many research funders now require authors to make all data related to their research available in an online repository. Please refer to the policy for further information about research data, data repositories and data citation.
Alternatively authors who do not select the gold open access option can choose a green open access route to publication.
For more information on IOP Publishing’s open access policies please see our Open access page. For our author rights policies please see our Author rights page.
Publication on a subscription-access basis is free of charge.
Authors have the option to pay the following article publication charge (APC) to publish their article on an open access basis under a Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) licence.
|Article publication charge*||£2230||€2560||$3075|
|Reduced article publication charge* for Group B countries**||£500||€575||$675|
|Reduced article publication charge for Group A countries**||£0||€0||$0|
*excluding VAT where applicable
**eligibility criteria can be found here
APCs only apply to articles accepted for publication; there are no submission charges.
There are no other charges for publishing in Bioinspiration & Biomimetics.
Transformative AgreementsBioinspiration & Biomimetics is included in our transformative agreements which allow authors from some institutions to publish open access without paying an APC.
Find out if you’re covered by an agreement
If you are covered by an agreement, use our author guide to help you submit your paper.
Countries where we have transformative agreements include:
Austria, Canada, Croatia, Finland, Hungary, Ireland, Israel, Germany, Poland, The Netherlands, United Kingdom, Saudi Arabia, Slovenia, Sweden and Switzerland.
Paying for open access
Various discounts, waivers and funding arrangements are available to support our authors. Visit our Paying for open access page for further details.
Abstracting and indexing services
We work with our authors to make help their work as easy to discover as possible. Bioinspiration & Biomimetics is currently included in the following abstracting and discovery services:
- ISI (SciSearch®, Science Citation Index®, Materials Science Citation Index®, Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition, ISI Alerting Services)
- Chemical Abstracts Service
- Current Awareness in Biological Sciences
- NASA Astrophysics Data System
- VINITI Abstracts Journal (Referativnyi Zhurnal)