Article Publication Charges
- Article publication charges at IOP Publishing
- What costs does an IOP Publishing journal incur?
- APC Pricing
- Open access refund policy
- Statement of the impact of gold open access publication in hybrid journals on 2021 subscription fees
Article publication charges at IOP Publishing
The costs associated with high-quality open access publishing in IOP Publishing’s journals are covered by article publication charges (APCs), which can be paid by institutions, funders or researchers. In some cases, the cost of APCs is sponsored in full or in part by IOP Publishing or one of our society partners. APC prices are listed on each journal website and included in the full price list below. Where APCs apply, they are only charged once an article has been accepted for publication. There is no charge if an article is rejected (before or after peer review), and there are no submission fees.
Prices are listed in three different currencies and are exclusive of any local taxes. Download the most current price list: 2021 IOP Publishing APC price list.
For further information about paying APCs, including available discounts and waivers, please visit our paying for open access page
For details of article publication fees for journals published on behalf of the AAS, please visit the AAS article charges and copyright page.
What costs does an IOP Publishing journal incur?
IOP Publishing strives to uphold the highest publishing standards, and we endeavour to minimise the time required of the research community in the setting-up and running of journals, enabling scientists to spend maximum time on their own research.
Some of the main costs we incur in publishing high-quality journals include:
- Peer review: IOP Publishing’s editorial staff manage all the operational aspects of peer review, ensuring the fairness, timeliness and thoroughness of the peer-review process and enabling scientific experts to focus on assessing the scientific value of suitable and relevant papers. Our editorial staff also provide regular advice and training to experienced and new peer reviewers. The peer review workflow is managed via an industry-leading digital system, and the process is overseen in accordance with the very latest ethical and research integrity standards.
- Editorial development: IOP Publishing’s editorial staff also manage the process of developing the scientific scope of each journal, recruiting and consulting the journal’s advisory board, and taking responsibility for the active commissioning of high-quality content.
IOP Publishing’s approach to these activities differs from many other publishers by not expecting the peer review process and editorial development of journals to be handled entirely or at least predominantly by volunteer external researchers.
- Production: All accepted articles undergo language assessment and copy-editing as well as conversion to XML and the creation of industry-standard formats for digital distribution. Some subscription journals will also be printed and distributed to readers internationally in print form
- Online dissemination: Articles are published on our wholly-owned and developed platform, IOPscience.iop.org, to ensure global visibility and perpetual online hosting and archiving. Discovery of the article is maximised through content APIs and feeds to external indexes such as Web of Science and Scopus.
- Content marketing and licensing: IOP Publishing staff seek all available avenues to attract submissions and to promote articles through print and digital formats, including social media and regular attendance at academic conferences. Our staff also work with university and industry libraries around the world to facilitate the licensing of content for use by research faculty and students. These licensing agreements increasingly incorporate arrangements to cover or discount the costs of open access publication for the institution’s researchers.
Whilst all IOP Publishing journals apply the same high standards of peer review and publication, they may have different APC prices. Differences can be determined by a number of factors, including:
- Rejection rate: the ratio of accepted articles to the total number of manuscripts received.
- Development intensity: The degree and proportion of editorial development work conducted by journal staff compared to external academics.
- Editing: The average level of language editing, formatting and structuring of an article required and the make-up of the content in terms of equations, figures, data etc.
- Marketing intensity: The degree of promotional activity required to attract authors and readers and ensure visibility and impact of journals and their articles.
- Custom services: Other customised editorial activities or technical functionality offered by the journal, such as open data validation or embedded multimedia content.
Open access refund policy
IOP Publishing endeavours to publish every open access article on the terms agreed with the authors and without delay. If you or your institution are unhappy with any aspect of the open access publishing service, you should contact the journal or the dedicated open access support team. Every effort will be made to respond to any deficiencies in service without delay. Where service fails to meet our high standards, you may be offered, on request and at the publisher’s discretion, a refund of part of the APC or a credit towards future publications.
Statement of the impact of gold open access publication in hybrid journals on 2021 subscription fees
We ensure that none of our customers pays twice for access to an article (once through a publication fee and again through a subscription charge) by fully accounting for revenue from publication fees when setting subscription prices.
2021 prices for hybrid subscription journals have been adjusted using the most recent full year of data on article publication revenue (2019). In total, 24 journals had reduced price increases because of publication fees. The subscription rate of one of our journals will fall in 2021 because of the increase in open access articles. 2D Materials will have its price reduced by 2.5%. These price adjustments are being made for all customers.
For more information about IOP subscription prices please contact your sales representative or subscription agent. Alternatively, you can e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org