Recognition for reviewers
Overview of reviewer recognition
Click here for the Chinese language version of this page.
IOP Publishing is committed to recognising and rewarding peer review. Here are some of the benefits you can enjoy as a reviewer:
- When you review for an IOP Publishing journal you may claim a 10% discount towards the cost of publishing an article in any IOP Publishing-owned journal on a gold open access basis, within two years of your review. Any author on a manuscript may claim a 10% reviewer discount. Read the Terms and Conditions of our reviewer discount programme here.
- We recognise our best reviewers via IOP Trusted Reviewer certification. You can be fast-tracked towards IOP Trusted Reviewer certification by completing our free online training course here.
- We offer free, interactive online peer review workshops for our reviewers. Register your interest in attending a Peer Review Excellence workshop here.
- By reviewing for our journals you will be eligible for the annual IOP Publishing Outstanding Reviewer Awards.
- For participating journals you can opt in to publish your reviewer reports and view other reviewer comments via transparent peer review.
Article publication charge discount for reviewers
To help recognise the vital contribution our reviewers make to the publishing process, IOP Publishing has a reward programme based on open access discounts. When you review a manuscript for an IOP Publishing journal, you may claim a 10% discount on the cost of publishing a manuscript in any IOP Publishing journal on a gold open access basis. Discounts are valid for two years from the date the reviewer report was submitted, and can be applied to an article processing charge by any co-author.
- Which journals offer reviewer discounts on article publication charges?
- How to claim a reviewer discount on article publication charges
- Terms and conditions for reviewer discounts on article publication charges
IOP Trusted Reviewer status
We created IOP Trusted Reviewer certification as a way to recognise the hard work and expertise of our very best reviewers. Our editors rate all of the reviewer reports we receive on a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 indicating a review of outstanding quality. Reviewers who score 5 out of 5 achieve IOP Trusted Reviewer status. In November 2022, we reached 10,000 Trusted Reviewers. Click here to read about the 10,000 Trusted Reviewer milestone. Successful graduates of our Peer Review Excellence course will be fast-tracked towards IOP Trusted Reviewer status. We aim to invite you to review as soon as a manuscript becomes available in your field of expertise. For training graduates, the threshold for achieving IOP Trusted Reviewer status is a report rated 4 or 5 out of 5. Over 50% of all Peer Review Excellence graduates go on to get IOP Trusted Reviewer status when they submit a reviewer report.
In 2023, we started awarding IOP Trusted Reviewer status to reviewers who consistently submit good reviews. We would like to thank these reviewers for supporting IOP Publishing and let them know we value the work they do. These reviewers will be eligible for our annual Outstanding Reviewer Awards.
Benefits through Web of Science Reviewer Recognition Service (formerly Publons)
IOP Publishing has partnered with Web of Science Reviewer Recognition Service, a free service which enables you to track, verify and showcase your peer review contributions. This demonstrates your contribution to scholarly communication beyond authorship. You can seamlessly have your reviewer records updated in the Reviewer Recognition Service with the click of a button. You gain recognition even if the manuscript is never published, and only the name of the journal and the year of the review will be displayed, so anonymity is completely protected. To find out more about the Web of Science Reviewer Recognition Service and join over 75,000 other experts committed to reviving peer review, click here.
- Track your reviews across different journals and publishers.
- Your profile updates automatically once you have opted in.
- Get notified when manuscripts you have reviewed are published (even if it was published in a different journal).
- Compare your reviewing behaviour with others.
- Track citations and altmetric scores of manuscripts you have reviewed.
- Sync your profile with your ORCID iD.
- Use your Web of Science record as support for a green card application.
Please ensure you opt in for Web of Science Reviewer Recognition Service recognition during the review process or claim your review after completion.
Outstanding Reviewer Awards
IOP Publishing is proud to recognise excellence in reviewing, and each year our journal editorial teams select the best reviewers of the year based on the quality, quantity and timeliness of their reviews.
Below are our winners of the 2022 Outstanding Reviewer Awards.
- 2D Materials
- Applied Physics Express
- Bioinspiration & Biomimetics
- Biomedical Materials
- Biomedical Physics & Engineering Express
- Chinese Physics B
- Chinese Physics C
- Chinese Physics Letters
- Classical & Quantum Gravity
- Communications in Theoretical Physics
- Electronic Structure
- Engineering Research Express
- Environmental Research Communications
- Environmental Research: Climate
- Environmental Research: Infrastructure and Sustainability
- Environmental Research Letters
- European Journal of Physics
- Flexible and Printed Electronics
- International Journal of Extreme Manufacturing
- Inverse Problems
- Japanese Journal of Applied Physics
- Journal of Breath Research
- Journal of Micromechanics & Microengineering
- Journal of Neural Engineering
- Journal of Optics
- Journal of Physics A: Mathematical & Theoretical
- Journal of Physics B: Atomic, Molecular and Optical Physics
- Journal of Physics Communications
- Journal of Physics: Complexity
- Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter
- Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics
- Journal of Physics G: Nuclear and Particle Physics
- Journal of Physics Materials
- Journal of Physics Photonics
- Journal of Radiological Protection
- Journal of Semiconductors
- Methods and Applications in Fluorescence
- Machine Learning: Science and Technology
- Materials Research Express
- Measurement Science and Technology
- Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering
- Nano Express
- Nano Futures
- Neuromorphic Computing and Engineering
- Nuclear Fusion
- Physica Scripta
- Physical Biology
- Physics in Medicine and Biology
- Physiological Measurement
- Plasma Physics and Controlled Fusion
- Plasma Science and Technology
- Plasma Sources Science and Technology
- Progress in Biomedical Engineering
- Progress in Energy
- Quantum Science and Technology
- Research in Astronomy and Astrophysics
- Reports on Progress in Physics
- Semiconductor Science and Technology
- Smart Materials and Structures
- Superconductor Science and Technology
- Surface Topography: Metrology and Properties