About Nano Express
Nano Express™ is a multidisciplinary, open access journal devoted to the rapid publication of new experimental, theoretical and applied research extending across all areas of nanoscale science and technology, including interdisciplinary topics. Characterised by article length flexibility and a fast-track peer review process, areas of particular interest include (but are not limited to):
- Synthesis and functionalization of nanostructured materials
- Study of the self- and directed-assembly of chemical species into nanoscale objects
- Characterization of the physical and chemical properties of nanoscale systems, thin films and 2D materials
- Theoretical and computational nanoscience
- Nanomedicine, biotechnology and pharmaceutical applications
- Energy at the nanoscale and the use of nanostructures to develop alternative energy solutions
- Quantum phenomena and technology
- Nanofabrication and patterning of materials
- Sensing and detectors
Why should you publish in Nano Express?
- Inclusive scope: Nano Express has been designed to cover all areas of science at the nanoscale and particularly welcomes interdisciplinary studies. For specific information about topics of interest, see our scope and key information section.
- Open access: All articles are published under a CC BY licence, providing immediate and perpetual access, and providing the widest possible dissemination and visibility for authors and their work.
- Inclusive peer review policy: No subjective assessment is made on the potential future significance or perceived novelty of your article. Instead we focus on the scientific rigour of the work and its contribution to our knowledge within nanoscale science.
- Fast publication: We are committed to providing authors with a fast, professional service to ensure rapid first decision, acceptance and publication. Once accepted, your article will be accessible to readers within 24 hours (with a citable DOI).
- Pre-print friendly: Authors are encouraged to post on community pre-print platforms.
- Society owned: IOP Publishing is a leading society publisher in the physical sciences. Any profits generated by IOP Publishing are invested in the Institute of Physics, helping to support research, education and outreach around the world.
Nano Express welcomes submissions of the following article types:
- Research papers: articles of unlimited length that report new research.
- Topical reviews: articles presenting a snapshot of recent progress in a particular field.
- Technical Notes: brief, methods-based articles of a more technical nature, which make a useful and novel addition to the literature.
- Tutorials: background knowledge for an audience unfamiliar with the subject. Aimed at early career researchers or more experienced researchers moving into a new field, tutorials give an introduction to the topic and are more didactic than a review article.
- Perspectives: commissioned brief commentaries that highlight the impact and wider implications of previously published work, or authoritative discussions on the future direction of a field, that are of notable interest to the community.
Our Publishing Support website provides more information on our reviewing process.
If an article is not accepted for publication, we may offer the author the opportunity to transfer their submission to other suitable journals we publish. This process is explained in more detail on our Publishing Support website.
Inclusivity and diversity
IOP Publishing recognises that there are inequalities within the scientific publishing and research ecosystems. We are committed to a progressive approach to inclusivity and diversity, and are working hard to eliminate discrimination to foster an equitable and welcoming publishing environment for all.
More information about our work on inclusivity is available on our Open Physics hub.
Please note that this policy requires authors to include a data availability statement in their article.
For any questions about the policy please contact the journal.
Many research funders now require authors to make all data related to their research available in an online repository. Please refer to the policy for further information about research data, data repositories and data citation.
For more information on IOP Publishing’s open access policies please see our Open access page.
Nano Express has no subscription charges and the costs of publication are fully funded by article publication charges (APCs).
|Article publication charge*||£1435||€1655||$1990|
|Reduced article publication charge* for Group B countries**||£500||€575||$675|
|Reduced article publication charge for Group A countries**||£0||€0||$0|
*excluding VAT where applicable
**eligibility criteria can be found here
APCs only apply to articles accepted for publication; there are no submission charges.
There are no other charges for publishing in Nano Express.
Nano Express is included in our transformative agreements which allow authors from some institutions to publish open access without paying an APC.
Find out if you’re covered by an agreement
If you are covered by an agreement, use our author guide to help you submit your paper.
Countries where we have transformative agreements include:
Austria, Canada, Croatia, Finland, Hungary, Ireland, Israel, Germany, Poland, The Netherlands, United Kingdom, Saudi Arabia, Slovenia, Sweden and Switzerland.
Paying for open access
Various discounts, waivers and funding arrangements are available to support our authors. Visit our Paying for open access page for further details.
Abstracting and indexing services
We work with our authors to help make their work as easy to discover as possible. Nano Express is currently included in the following abstracting and discovery services:
- Baidu Scholar
- Ei Compendex
- NASA Astrophysics Data System
- Naver Academic
- ProQuest Central
- ProQuest Engineered Materials Abstracts
- ProQuest Materials Science Collection
- ProQuest Materials Science Index
- ProQuest Science Database
- ProQuest SciTech Premium Collection
- ProQuest Science Technology Collection
- R Discovery
- Semantic Scholar
- Wanfang Data
- Web of Science (Emerging Sources Citation Index)