About Journal of Physics Communications
Journal of Physics Communications™ publishes high-quality research in all areas of physics and builds on the strength and prestige of the Journal of Physics series. The journal does not make a subjective assessment on the potential future significance of a paper, instead providing a rapid platform for communicating research that meets high standards of scientific rigour and contributes to the development of knowledge in physics.
All physics-related research is in scope, including interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary studies. All types of results can be published, provided they contribute to advancing knowledge in their field, including negative results, null results and replication studies.
Why should you publish in Journal of Physics Communications?
- Broad scope: the journal scope extends across all areas of physics and interdisciplinary topics.
- Fast publication: we are committed to providing you with a speedy, professional service to ensure rapid first decision, acceptance and publication. Once accepted, your article will be accessible to readers within 24 hours and will include a citable DOI.
- High standards: Journal of Physics Communications operates a transparent editorial selection and feedback process focused on scientific validity and rigour. Articles will be peer reviewed by IOP Publishing’s global network of expert reviewers.
- Open access: open access option—for more details see the IOP Publishing open access policy page.
- Transfer opportunities: as well as accepting direct submissions, the journal also offers you a quick and easy solution to transfer your manuscript from another IOP Publishing journal if it does not fit that journal’s scope or significance criteria. Articles are transferred along with peer review reports to save time and avoid duplication of work for reviewers.
- Society owned: IOP Publishing is a leading society publisher of advanced physics research. Any profits generated by IOP Publishing are invested in the Institute of Physics, helping to support research, education and outreach around the world.
Journal of Physics Communications welcomes submissions of the following article types:
- Letters: short research articles that report new research. As a guide, letters should not generally be more than eight journal pages (or around 4500 words) in length.
- Research Papers: articles of unlimited length that report new research.
- Topical Reviews: articles presenting a snapshot of recent progress in a particular field.
- Comment: comment or criticism on work previously published in the journal. Usually published with associated Reply.
Our Publishing Support website provides more information on our reviewing process.
If an article is not accepted for publication, we may offer the author the opportunity to transfer their submission to other suitable journals we publish. This process is explained in more detail on our Publishing Support website.
Inclusivity and diversity
IOP Publishing recognises that there are inequalities within the scientific publishing and research ecosystems. We are committed to a progressive approach to inclusivity and diversity, and are working hard to eliminate discrimination to foster an equitable and welcoming publishing environment for all.
IOP Publishing follows Guidelines on Inclusive Language and Images in Scholarly Communication to ensure that journal articles use bias-free and culturally sensitive communication. We ask authors to please follow these guidelines in their manuscript submissions.
More information about our work on inclusivity is available on our Open Physics hub.
Please note that this policy requires authors to include a data availability statement in their article.
For any questions about the policy please contact the journal.
Many research funders now require authors to make all data related to their research available in an online repository. Please refer to the policy for further information about research data, data repositories and data citation.
For more information on IOP Publishing’s open access policies please see our Open access page.
|Article publication charge*||£1155||€1385||$1720|
|Reduced article publication charge* for Group B countries**||£500||€575||$675|
|Reduced article publication charge for Group A countries**||£0||€0||$0|
*excluding VAT where applicable
**eligibility criteria can be found here
APCs only apply to articles accepted for publication; there are no submission charges.
There are no other charges for publishing in Journal of Physics Communications.
Transformative AgreementsJournal of Physics Communications is included in our transformative agreements which allow authors from some institutions to publish open access without paying an APC.
If you are covered by an agreement, use our author guide to help you submit your paper.
Countries where we have transformative agreements include:
Austria, Canada, Croatia, Finland, Hungary, Ireland, Israel, Germany, Poland, The Netherlands, United Kingdom, Saudi Arabia, Slovenia, Sweden and Switzerland.
Paying for open access
Various discounts, waivers and funding arrangements are available to support our authors. Visit our Paying for open access page for further details.
Abstracting and indexing services
We work with our authors to make help their work as easy to discover as possible. Journal of Physics Communication is currently included in the following abstracting and discovery services:
- Chemical Abstracts Service
- INIS (International Nuclear Information System)
- NASA Astrophysics Data System
- Web of Science (Emerging Sources Citation Index)