About the journal
Biomedical Physics & Engineering Express (BPEX) is an inclusive, international, multidisciplinary journal devoted to publishing new research on any application of physics and/or engineering in medicine and/or biology.
Characterized by a broad geographical coverage and a fast-track peer-review process, relevant topics include all aspects of biophysics, medical physics and biomedical engineering. Papers that are almost entirely clinical or biological in their focus are not suitable. The journal has an emphasis on publishing interdisciplinary work and bringing research fields together, encompassing experimental, theoretical and computational work.
Major topics include (but are not limited to):
- Medical technologies (e.g. sensors, detectors, devices, human-machine interfaces)
- Biomedical imaging (e.g. microscopy, spectroscopy, pre-clinical and clinical imaging, multiscale imaging, image reconstruction, image analysis, image processing)
- Medical interventions (e.g. therapy physics, radiation dosimetry, image-guided interventions, thermal medicine)
- Nanotechnology in biomedicine (e.g. drug delivery, nanoparticles, nanodevices)
- Biomaterials (e.g. synthesis, characterization and performance, bioengineering and biomanufacturing technologies, in-vitro tissue and disease models, biological interactions)
- Systems biology (e.g. cellular signalling, metabolism and cellular processes, multiscale modelling, simulations)
- Physiological measurements (e.g. monitoring and diagnosis, electrophysiology, neurophysiology, time-series analysis)
- Data Science and Analytics (e.g. artificial intelligence, machine learning, deep learning methods, image feature extraction, radiomics, computer aided diagnosis)
- Bioinformatics (e.g. gene and protein expression analysis, cellular organization, structural bioinformatics)
- Other general topics from biophysics, medical physics and biomedical engineering
Why publish in Biomedical Physics & Engineering Express?
- Fair and impartial peer review.
- Fast publication: we are committed to providing you with a speedy, professional service to ensure rapid first decision, acceptance and publication. Once accepted, your article will be accessible to readers within 24 hours and will include a citable DOI.
- Benefits to members of IPEM: members will now enjoy complimentary online access to BPEX, and a 15% discount from the article processing charge for open access articles.
- Open access.
- Full compliance with NIH Public Access Policy: we upload NIH-funded papers to PubMed Central on behalf of authors.
- International Editorial Board.
- Society owned: IOP Publishing is a leading society publisher of advanced physics research. Any profits generated by IOP Publishing are invested in the Institute of Physics, helping to support research, education and outreach around the world.
BPEX welcomes submissions of the following article types:
- Papers: descriptions of original scientific research, techniques and applications; not normally more than 12 000 words (14 journal pages). Papers published in BPEX must be scientifically rigorous and should report new, previously unpublished research that will be of archival value to specialists in an immediate field of biomedical physics and engineering. Accepted articles should contain strong analysis and discussion of their contents.
- Notes: brief descriptions of a single piece of apparatus or a technique developed for a specific purpose, a small but important experimental or theoretical point or a novel solution to a commonly encountered problem in biomedical physics or engineering; not normally more than 4000 words (four journal pages).
- Topical Reviews: intended to summarize accepted practice and report on recent progress in selected areas, a Topical Review should discuss the current state of research in the field, and also include a general overview and an introduction with enough basic information to make the article interesting and informative for non-specialist scientists. They do not have to be fully comprehensive.
- Comments and Replies: comments on, or criticisms of, previously published work; not normally more than 1800 words (two journal pages).
To be published in BPEX an article must be scientifically rigorous and should report new, previously unpublished research that will be of archival value to specialists in an immediate field of biomedical physics and engineering. The journal’s editorial team, alongside the international Editorial Board is responsible for managing the peer-review process to ensure that all published articles meet these criteria.
Articles that have been judged, following peer-review, to be editorially unsuitable for publication in another IOP journal may, at the discretion of the journal team and their Editorial Boards, be deemed appropriate for further consideration by BPEX (subject to compliance with editorial scope and article acceptance criteria).
In such cases, authors will be contacted with the option to transfer a manuscript from their original journal of choice to BPEX. Where relevant, all previous referee reports and correspondence will also be transferred in the interest of expediting the transfer and decision-making process.
Authors of all articles are required upon submission to disclose any potential conflict of interest (e.g. employment, consulting fees, industrial research contracts, stock ownership, equity interests, patent-licensing arrangements, honoraria, etc) in their covering letter. If the article is subsequently accepted for publication, this information should be included in an acknowledgments section.
Authors should also note that the journal fully endorses the principles embodied in the Declaration of Helsinki. All investigations involving humans must be conducted in accordance with these principles and in accordance with local statutory requirements. Articles relying on clinical trials should quote the trial registration number at the end of the abstract. We also encourage the registration of such studies in a public trials registry prior to publication of the results in the journal. All investigations involving animal experimentation must be conducted in conformity with the ‘Guiding Principles for Research Involving Animals and Human Beings’ as adopted by The American Physiological Society.
This journal is part of the STM Peer Review Taxonomy Pilot, which aims to standardise definitions and terminology in peer review across publishers and enable the community to better assess and compare practices between different journals. Please let us know your thoughts on the terms used below.
The following summary describes the peer review process for this journal:
- Identity transparency: double-anonymous
- Reviewer interacts with: Editor
- Review information published: none
If an article is not accepted for publication, we may offer the author the opportunity to transfer their submission to other suitable journals we publish.
Inclusivity and diversity
IOP Publishing recognises that there are inequalities within the scientific publishing and research ecosystems. We are committed to a progressive approach to inclusivity and diversity, and are working hard to eliminate discrimination to foster an equitable and welcoming publishing environment for all.
More information about our work on inclusivity is available on our Open Physics hub.
BPEX maintains the highest standards of publication and research ethics and is a member of the Committee for Publication Ethics (COPE). Authors are expected to comply with IOP Publishing’s Ethical policy.
All submitted manuscripts must include a statement confirming that consent was obtained for all identifiable individuals in accordance with the principles embodied in the Declaration of Helsinki, and investigations involving animal experimentation conducted in accordance with the Guiding Principles for Research Involving Animals and Human Beings.
Any manuscript submitted to the journal without an explicit statement adhering to the principles above will be returned to the authors and not considered further until an explicit statement is included.
Please note that this policy requires authors to include a data availability statement in their article.
For any questions about the policy please contact the journal.
Many research funders now require authors to make all data related to their research available in an online repository. Please refer to the policy for further information about research data, data repositories and data citation.
Alternatively authors who do not select the gold open access option can choose a green open access route to publication.
BPEX is a hybrid open access journal. Subscription publication is free of charge.
|Article publication charge*||£1570||€1790||$2115|
*excluding VAT where applicable
APCs only apply to articles accepted for publication; there are no submission charges.
IPEM members receive a 15% discount from the article processing charge for open access articles.
There are no other charges for publishing in BPEX.
Paying for open access
Various other discounts, waivers and funding arrangements are available to support authors. Visit our Paying for open access page to find out whether you qualify.
Abstracting and indexing services
We work with our authors to help make their work as easy to discover as possible. BPEX is currently included in the following abstracting and discovery services:
- Web of Science via Clarivate Analytics Emerging Sources Citation Index