About 2D Materials
2D Materials™ (2DM) aims to curate the most significant and cutting-edge research being undertaken in the field of two-dimensional materials science and engineering. Serving an expanding multidisciplinary community of researchers and technologists, our goal is to develop a selective journal dedicated to bringing together the most important new results and perspectives from across the discipline. Submissions should be essential reading for a particular sub-field and should also be of multidisciplinary interest to the wider community, with the expectation that published work will have significant impact.
Submissions that do not meet 2D Materials‘ strict acceptance criteria may be transferred at the discretion of the journal’s editors (with author approval) to other relevant journals in the IOP portfolio, for further consideration.
2D Materials is a multidisciplinary journal devoted to publishing original research of the highest quality and impact covering all aspects of two-dimensional materials, including fundamental properties (experiments, theory and simulations), novel applications (electrical, mechanical, chemical and biomedical) and synthesis/fabrication techniques. Specific materials of interest will include, but are not limited to:
- Graphene and graphene-derived materials (such as graphene oxides, graphene quantum dots etc)
- Silicene and germanene/silicane and germanane
- Boron nitride
- Transition metal dichalcogenides
- Two-dimensional topological insulators
- Complex oxides
- Composite materials
- Other novel two-dimensional layered structures
In addition to publishing research articles that report urgent breakthrough results of significant importance to the field of two-dimensional materials, this journal also publishes Perspectives and invited-only Topical Reviews on themes of particular current interest to the community.
Why should you publish in 2DM?
- High standards: fast, rigorous and constructive refereeing process, overseen by a member of the Editorial Board.
- Fast publication: we are committed to providing a quick, professional service to ensure rapid first decision, acceptance and publication. Once accepted, your article will be accessible to readers within 24 hours and will include a citable DOI.
- Open access: the choice to make individual articles available on an open access basis (on payment of an article processing charge).
- Transfer opportunities: as well as accepting direct submissions, this journal also offers a quick and easy solution to transfer your manuscript from another IOP Publishing journal if it does not fit this journal’s scope or significance criteria. Articles are transferred along with peer review reports to save time and avoid duplication of work for referees.
- International Editorial Board: led by led by Wencai Ren from the Shenyang National Laboratory for Materials Science.
2D Materials welcomes submissions of the following article types:
- Letters: short, high impact research articles that report an urgent and breakthrough development on any aspect of two-dimensional materials. A Letter should not normally be more than six journal pages in length (5000 words).
- Research Papers: articles of unlimited length that report new research of outstanding quality, and which make a significant advance in terms of either the fundamental science, applications or synthesis of two-dimensional materials.
- Perspectives: commissioned brief commentaries that highlight the impact and wider implications of new research reported in 2D Materials. Perspectives may occasionally be commissioned by the Editorial Board on a broader theme of relevance to the two-dimensional materials community.
- Topical Reviews: invited review articles that provide a snapshot of recent progress in a particular field relevant to two-dimensional materials. They often deal with subjects which are still developing rapidly so a comprehensive review is not possible. The typical length of a Topical Review is between 10 000 and 15 000 words. Topical Reviews are usually commissioned by the Editorial Board, however unsolicited proposals from the community that comply with the journal’s strict criteria will also be considered. If you would like to propose a Topical Review for publication in 2DM, please contact the journal team.
- Focus Issues: each Focus Issue serves to highlight timely work conducted within specific areas of interest. Articles are commissioned by guest editors.
- Roadmaps: composed by leading researchers in the field and providing an overview on the status, current and future challenges, and emerging technologies across a given subject area.
A research paper in 2DM should form a timely and important contribution to research on two-dimensional materials deserving of rapid publication, and to ensure maximum appeal to the journal’s multidisciplinary readership, the peer review of articles is directed by the Editorial Board. Submissions to 2DM are preliminarily assessed for suitability before being sent to independent referees for formal review. To aid this process, all authors are required to accompany their article with a cover letter supplying the following supplementary information detailing the particular significance of their work:
- What are the new results or developments reported in your article?
- In what way are these new results or developments timely?
- Why are these new results or developments significant?
This information will be sent to the Editorial Board and referees for their consideration as part of the refereeing procedure. You should upload this justification in the ‘File Upload’ step of the submission process.
Articles that are considered inappropriate for the journal at this initial stage will be rejected without further review and, if appropriate, redirected to another IOP journal. In such cases the decision will be taken very quickly so that an author has the option to resubmit to another journal without undue delay.
The following summary describes the peer review process for 2D Materials:transparent peer review.
If an article is not accepted for publication, we may offer the author the opportunity to transfer their submission to other suitable journals we publish.
Inclusivity and diversity
IOP Publishing recognises that there are inequalities within the scientific publishing and research ecosystems. We are committed to a progressive approach to inclusivity and diversity, and are working hard to eliminate discrimination to foster an equitable and welcoming publishing environment for all.
More information about our work on inclusivity is available on our Open Physics hub.
Please note that this policy requires authors to include a data availability statement in their article.
For any questions about the policy please contact the journal.
Many research funders now require authors to make all data related to their research available in an online repository. Please refer to the policy for further information about research data, data repositories and data citation.
Alternatively authors who do not select the gold open access option can choose a green open access route to publication.
Publication on a subscription-access basis is free of charge.
|Article publication charge*||£2640||€3010||$3690|
|Reduced article publication charge* for Group B countries**||£500||€575||$675|
|Reduced article publication charge for Group A countries**||£0||€0||$0|
*excluding VAT where applicable
**eligibility criteria can be found here
APCs only apply to articles accepted for publication; there are no submission charges.
There are no other charges for publishing in 2D Materials.
Transformative Agreements2D Materials is included in our transformative agreements which allow authors from some institutions to publish open access without paying an APC.
If you are covered by an agreement, use our author guide to help you submit your paper.
Countries where we have transformative agreements include:
Austria, Canada, Croatia, Finland, Hungary, Ireland, Israel, Germany, Poland, The Netherlands, United Kingdom, Saudi Arabia, Slovenia, Sweden and Switzerland.
Paying for open access
Various discounts, waivers and funding arrangements are available to support our authors. Visit our Paying for open access page for further details.
Abstracting and indexing services
We work with our authors to help make their work as easy to discover as possible. 2DM is currently included in the following abstracting and discovery services.
- Baidu Scholar
- Chemical Abstracts Service
- Ei Compendex
- INIS (International Nuclear Information System)
- NASA Astrophysics Data System
- Naver Academic
- R Discovery
- Semantic Scholar
- Wanfang Data
- Web of Science (Science Citation Index Expanded, Current Contents/Physical Chemical and Earth Sciences)