Reviewer discounts on article publication charges
Our reviewer reward scheme gives a 10% credit to reviewers who review articles for selected journals from our portfolio. Credit can be used towards the cost of publishing an article to which the referee has contributed, on a gold open access basis. A reviewer reward credit will be given for every review completed.
We see this as one way to help recognize the contribution of reviewers towards the peer-review process. IOP is also committed to finding practical solutions that will support our reviewers who are also authors and who wish to publish on an open access basis.
If you have a question about the reviewer reward scheme, please email us at email@example.com.
How to claim a reviewer discount on article publication charges
You can claim a reward every time you review an article for the journals participating in the scheme. To use the reward, the procedure below should be followed:
Select the open access option when submitting an article through ScholarOne
A box will appear that asks if you have recently reviewed an article for IOP Publishing; you will be asked for details of the article(s) you have reviewed
We will apply any reward to the invoice for your article publication charge.
Terms and conditions for reviewer rewards
- Rewards are granted at the Publisher’s discretion, subject to you submitting a timely and detailed report for the article you reviewed.
- You can only use one reviewer reward per article, unless alternative arrangements are specified on a journal’s ‘Publication Charges’ information page.
- You can use the reward against article processing charges on any IOP-owned journal, not just the journal for which you reviewed.
- You can use your reviewer reward for up to two years from the date your report was submitted.
- The reward can only be used to pay the open access article publication charge for an article.
- Your reviewer reward can only be used for articles on which you are named as an author (you do not have to be the corresponding or first-named author).
- Your reviewer reward can only be used on papers accepted after you completed your review.
- No cash equivalent is available.
- The reviewer reward cannot be used in conjunction with other discounts such as institutional membership schemes.
Which journals offer reviewer discounts on article publication charges?
Some IOP Publishing journals operate slightly different reviewer reward schemes. If you are unsure, please check on the journal’s open access information page for which you have reviewed an article, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2D Materials
- Bioinspiration and Biomimetics
- Biomedical Materials
- Biomedical Physics and Engineering Express
- Classical and Quantum Gravity
- Electronic Structure
- Environmental Research Communications*
- Environmental Research Letters*
- Environmental Research Communications*
- Environmental Research: Climate*
- Environmental Research: Ecology*
- Environmental Research: Infrastructure and Sustainability*
- European Journal of Physics
- Fluid Dynamics Research
- Inverse Problems
- Journal of Breath Research
- Journal of Geophysics and Engineering
- Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering
- Journal of Neural Engineering
- Journal of Optics
- Journal of Physics A: Mathematical and Theoretical
- Journal of Physics B: Atomic, Molecular and Optical Physics
- Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter
- Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics
- Journal of Physics G: Nuclear and Particle Physics
- Journal of Physics Communications*
- Journal of Physics: Energy*
- Journal of Physics: Materials*
- Journal of Physics: Photonics*
- Journal of Radiological Protection
- Machine Learning: Science and Technology
- Materials Research Express*
- Measurement Science and Technology
- Methods and Applications in Fluorescence
- Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering
- Multifunctional Materials
- Nano Futures
- Neuromorphic Computing and Engineering*
- New Journal of Physics*
- Nuclear Fusion
- Physica Scripta
- Physical Biology
- Physics Education
- Physics in Medicine and Biology
- Physiological Measurement
- Plasma Physics and Controlled Fusion
- Plasma Research Express
- Plasma Sources Science and Technology
- Quantum Science & Technology
- Semiconductor Science and Technology
- Smart Materials and Structures
- Superconductor Science and Technology
- Surface Topography: Metrology and Properties
- Translational Materials Research
*fully open access journals