Open access for Austria
IOP Publishing (IOP), the Austrian Science Fund (FWF) and the Austrian Academic Consortium (Kooperation E-Medien Österreich, KEMÖ) have been working with universities across Austria to put together an agreement which will allow researchers in Austria to have their article publication charge (APC) paid by their funder or research institute.
All IOP and selected partner subscription titles that offer a hybrid open access option are included in the agreement.
Click here for a list of eligible journals. This agreement includes journals in List A, with the FWF additionally funding open access for journals in List D.
How to take advantage of the agreement
This process applies to all primary research article types: Letters, Papers, Reviews and Special Issue articles.
1. At submission
The corresponding (submitting) author must be affiliated with a member institution, or be recently funded by the FWF. When you submit your article please supply your affiliation and funding information clearly in the article submission form and in the article itself. Please acknowledge any research funding if asked during submission as well as in the manuscript itself.
2. At first decision
You will be notified of identification during the peer-review process after the first decision phase, and your paper will automatically be opted in to open access. You may opt out at any time.
3. Upon acceptance
IOP Publishing will validate the article with a dedicated contact at your institution to approve funding. If for any reason funding is declined, you will have the option to find alternative funding or return to publication at no charge on a subscription basis.
All validated articles are published with a CC-BY license at no cost to the author, and comply with any funder mandates for open access.
If you have not been alerted before your article is accepted, you should contact the journal and your university/funder’s open access team to establish whether your APC can be covered.
Requirements for FWF funding
The FWF will cover costs for APCs for FWF-funded projects in IOP’s gold open access journals (List D in the eligible journals list) as well as our hybrid open access journals. The following criteria apply:
- One of the authors must be the project leader or a project staff member
- The project must have been concluded within the last 36 months
- FWF funding must be mentioned in the acknowledgements as follows: Austrian Science Fund (FWF): project number.
- Please ensure that you include your project number. If not, funding may be declined or cause delay to the manuscript.
The corresponding (submitting) author must add the Austrian Science Fund as a funder on the manuscript submission form. This allows us to identify articles for funding.
For more information, please contact email@example.com.
Participating Austrian institutions
IOP has an agreement with the following universities and institutes to fund APCs in our hybrid open access journals:
- Vienna Technical University (Technische Universität Wien)
- Graz Technical University (Technische Universität Graz)
- Vienna University (Universität Wien)
- Johannes Kepler University of Linz (Johannes-Kepler-Universität (JKU) Linz)
- Paris Lodron University of Salzburg (Paris-Lodron-Universität Salzburg)
- Innsbruck University (Universität Innsbruck)
- Institute of Science and Technology Austria (IST)
- Vorarlberg University of Applied Sciences (Fachhochschule Vorarlberg)
- Karl Franzens University of Graz (Karl-Franzens-Universität Graz)
- Austrian Institute of Technology (AIT)
The corresponding (submitting) author must be affiliated to one of the above, and enter this during manuscript submission.
Learn more about the arrangement and how to get published in our webinar: How to get published in Austria
For more information about the offsetting agreements, or to enquire about APC funding, please email the relevant library contact at your university. Contact details can be found on the Austrian Academic Consortium website.