Open access for Austria
IOP Publishing (IOP), the Austrian Science Fund (FWF) and the Austrian Academic Consortium (Kooperation E-Medien Österreich, KEMÖ) have been working with universities across Austria to put together an agreement which will allow researchers in Austria to have their article publication charge (APC) paid by their funder or research institute.
Research is eligible for funding if it falls under one of these two categories.
You are funded by the FWF
The FWF will cover costs for APCs for FWF-funded projects in IOP’s gold open access journals as well as our hybrid open access journals. The following criteria apply:
- One of the authors must be the project leader or a project staff member
- The project must have been concluded within the last 36 months
- FWF funding must be mentioned in the acknowledgements as follows: Austrian Science Fund (FWF): project number.
- Please ensure that you include your project number. If not, funding may be declined or cause delay to the manuscript.
The corresponding (submitting) author must add the Austrian Science Fund as a funder on the manuscript submission form. This allows us to identify articles for funding.
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
You are not funded by the FWF but are based at a participating Austrian university or institute
IOP has an agreement with the following universities and institutes to fund APCs in our hybrid open access journals:
- Vienna Technical University (Technische Universität Wien)
- Graz Technical University (Technische Universität Graz)
- Vienna University (Universität Wien)
- Johannes Kepler University of Linz (Johannes-Kepler-Universität (JKU) Linz)
- Paris Lodron University of Salzburg (Paris-Lodron-Universität Salzburg)
- Innsbruck University (Universität Innsbruck)
- Institute of Science and Technology Austria (IST)
- Vorarlberg University of Applied Sciences (Fachhochschule Vorarlberg)
- Karl Franzens University of Graz (Karl-Franzens-Universität Graz)
- Austrian Institute of Technology (AIT)
The corresponding (submitting) author must be affiliated to one of the above, and enter this during manuscript submission.
How to take advantage of this arrangement
IOP will identify articles that potentially qualify for funding based on either the institution of the corresponding author on the paper, or the funder selected at submission (Austrian Science Fund (FWF)). Please ensure these are correct at the time of article submission. The corresponding author will be notified during the peer review process after the first decision phase, and the paper will be opted in to open access. On acceptance, we will validate the article with the institution to approve funding. If funding is declined, the author will have the option to find alternate funding or return to a subscription publication. The author may opt out at any time.
All IOP and selected partner subscription titles that offer a hybrid open access option are included in the agreement.
Learn more about the arrangement and how to get published in our webinar: How to get published in Austria
For more information about the offsetting agreements, or to enquire about APC funding, please email the relevant library contact at your university. Contact details can be found on the Austrian Academic Consortium website.