About Journal of Physics: Complexity
JPhys Complexity™ showcases the most significant and exciting scientific developments in physics-related theoretical, experimental, and applied research that contributes to advancing our scientific understanding of complex systems and networks. As an interdisciplinary journal, JPhys Complexity welcomes submissions from all disciplines, including physics, biology, chemistry, environmental science, social sciences, economics, and related fields, and aims to facilitate the flow of knowledge between and beyond these communities, ensuring authors gain maximum impact and visibility for their work.
The journal builds on the strength and prestige of the Journal of Physics series, which celebrated 50 years of publishing in 2017.
All research related to complex systems and networks is in scope, including interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary studies. Coverage includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Artificial intelligence and machine learning
- Biological and physical systems
- City and regional planning
- Climate change and sustainability
- Cognitive, language, and informational networks
- Computational assembly science and engineering
- Economic and financial systems
- Human behaviour, social-evolutionary dynamics
- Online social networks and the Internet
- Quantum networks
In addition to publishing research articles that report breakthrough results of significant importance to the field of complex systems and networks, JPhys Complexity will also publish invited Topical Reviews on themes of particular current interest to the community.
Why should you publish in JPhys Complexity?
- Scope: Representative of all strands and sub-disciplines within complex systems and networks, with a focus on emerging areas of high interest within the community.
- High standards: Selective editorial policy to ensure publication of only the highest quality research in terms of significance, originality and scientific rigour. Articles are rigorously peer reviewed by IOP Publishing’s global network of expert reviewers, supported by our top-level editorial board.
- Fast publication: We are committed to providing you with a fast, professional service to ensure rapid first decision, acceptance and publication. Once accepted, your article will be accessible to readers within 24 hours and will include a citable DOI.
- Open access: Articles are published under a CC BY license to maximize accessibility, engagement and collaboration and to support open science.
- Transfer opportunities: As well as accepting direct submissions, the journal also offers you a quick and easy solution to transfer your manuscript from another IOP Publishing journal if it does not fit that journal’s scope or significance criteria. Articles are transferred along with peer review reports to save time and avoid duplication of work for reviewers.
- Society owned: IOP Publishing is a leading society publisher of advanced physics research. Any profits generated by IOP Publishing are invested in the Institute of Physics, helping to support research, education and outreach around the world.
JPhys Complexity welcomes submissions of the following article types:
- Research papers: articles of unlimited length that report new research.
- Letters: short research articles that report new research. As a guide, Letters should not generally be more than eight journal pages (or around 4500 words) in length.
- Topical reviews: articles presenting a snapshot of recent progress in a particular field.
- Perspectives: commentaries on the impact of previously published work, or authoritative discussions on the future direction of a field, that are of notable interest to the community.
- Comments and Replies: comment or criticism on work previously published in the journal. These are usually published with an associated Reply. Comments should be no more than one journal page (850 words) in length.
The following summary describes the peer review process for Journal of Physics: Complexity, using the ANSI/NISO Standard Terminology for Peer Review:
- Identity transparency: single-anonymous, double-anonymous (author choice)
- Reviewer interacts with: Editor
- Review information published: review reports (author and reviewer opt in), author/editor communication, reviewer identities (reviewer opt in)
Our Publishing Support website provides more information on our reviewing process as well as checklists in both English and Chinese language to help authors prepare their manuscripts for submission.
If an article is not accepted for publication, we may offer the author the opportunity to transfer their submission to other suitable journals we publish.
Inclusivity and diversity
IOP Publishing recognises that there are inequalities within the scientific publishing and research ecosystems. We are committed to a progressive approach to inclusivity and diversity, and are working hard to eliminate discrimination to foster an equitable and welcoming publishing environment for all.
IOP Publishing follows Guidelines on Inclusive Language and Images in Scholarly Communication to ensure that journal articles use bias-free and culturally sensitive communication. We ask authors to please follow these guidelines in their manuscript submissions.
More information about our work on inclusivity is available on our Open Physics hub.
Please note that this policy requires authors to include a data availability statement in their article.
For any questions about the policy please contact the journal.
Many research funders now require authors to make all data related to their research available in an online repository. Please refer to the policy for further information about research data, data repositories and data citation.
For more information on IOP Publishing’s open access policies please see our Open access page.
Journal of Physics: Complexity has no subscription charges and the costs of publication are fully funded by article publication charges (APCs).
|Article publication charge*
|Reduced article publication charge* for Group B countries**
|Reduced article publication charge for Group A countries**
*excluding VAT where applicable
**eligibility criteria can be found here.
APCs only apply to articles accepted for publication; there are no submission charges.
There are no other charges for publishing in Journal of Physics: Complexity.
Journal of Physics: Complexity is included in our transformative agreements which allow authors from some institutions to publish open access without paying an APC.
If you are covered by an agreement, use our author guide to help you submit your paper.
Countries where we have transformative agreements include:
Austria, Canada, Croatia, Finland, Hungary, Ireland, Israel, Germany, Poland, The Netherlands, United Kingdom, Saudi Arabia, Slovenia, Sweden and Switzerland.
Paying for open access
Various discounts, waivers and funding arrangements are available to support our authors. Visit our Paying for open access page for further details.
Abstracting and indexing services
We work with our authors to help make their work as easy to discover as possible. Articles published in JPhys Complexity is currently included in the following abstracting and discovery services:
- NASA Astrophysics Data System
- Web of Science: Emerging Sources Citation Index (ESCI)