Researchers from Max Planck Institutes
IOP Publishing (IOP) and The Max Planck Society (MPG) have established an agreement which covers the cost of licensed access to the subscription journals portfolio and allows authors to publish on a hybrid open access basis in 36 selected journals. The agreement covers the open access APC centrally for Max-Planck-affiliated corresponding authors so authors and institutions will not need to pay a fee or take any further action to arrange publication.
This arrangement is valid for articles accepted between January 1, 2018 and December 31, 2020.
How to take advantage of this arrangement
IOP will automatically identify articles that potentially qualify for funding based on the institution of the corresponding author on the paper. The corresponding author will be notified during the peer review process after the first decision phase, and be automatically opted in to open access. On acceptance, IOP will validate the article with MPG to approve funding. If funding is declined, the author will have the option to find alternate funding or return to publication at no charge on a subscription basis. The author may opt out at any time.
To qualify the corresponding author must be affiliated with a Max Planck institute and submit the paper with this institute included in the article submission details.
If you believe your article qualifies for funding, but have not received any communication at the point of acceptance, please contact the journal.
Information is also available from the Max Planck Society at: https://www.mpdl.mpg.de/en/463
You may contact the Max Planck Society at: firstname.lastname@example.org
List of supported journals
The 36 journals supported do not presently include our partner titles, such as those from the AAS or JSAP. Funding is available for ‘Letter’ ‘Paper’ and ‘Special Issue’ article types.
Please see the full list below.
- 2D Materials
- Bioinspiration & Biomimetics
- Biomedical Materials
- Biomedical Physics & Engineering Express
- Classical and Quantum Gravity
- Convergent Science Physical Oncology
- Flexible and Printed Electronics
- Inverse Problems
- Journal of Breath Research
- Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering
- Journal of Neural Engineering
- Journal of Optics
- Journal of Physics A: Mathematical and Theoretical
- Journal of Physics B: Atomic, Molecular and Optical Physics
- Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics
- Journal of Physics G: Nuclear and Particle Physics
- Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter
- Materials Research Express
- Measurement Science and Technology
- Methods and Applications in Fluorescence
- Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering
- Multifunctional Materials
- Nano Futures
- Physical Biology
- Physics Education
- Physica Scripta
- Plasma Physics and Controlled Fusion
- Plasma Sources Science and Technology
- Quantum Science and Technology
- Semiconductor Science and Technology
- Smart Materials and Structures
- Superconductor Science and Technology
- Surface Topography: Metrology and Properties
- Translational Materials Research
Please note: APCs paid on fully open access journals such as New Journal of Physics, Journal of Physics Communications and Environmental Research Letters are not included in this arrangement.