Author guidelines for conference proceedings
Please read carefully our author guidelines for conference proceedings below.
Preparing your proceedings paper
IOP Conference Series uses author-supplied PDFs for all online and print publication. Authors must prepare their papers using Microsoft Word or LaTeX, according to the guidelines and templates, and then convert these files to PDF.
It is important to ensure that when you submit your paper, it is in its final form ready for publication, and has been thoroughly proofread. IOP do not copy edit or reformat papers and will not send out author proofs prior to publication. Post-publication changes are not permitted, so please ensure that your paper has been checked for errors.
As a general rule we would advise that an author does not submit more than two articles to a conference. This includes papers that they have co-authored.
Our guidance on what constitutes authorship is available here: https://publishingsupport.iopscience.iop.org/questions/ethics-of-authorship/
By submitting a paper an author and all co-authors are assumed to agree with the terms of the IOP Proceedings Licence.
Do not submit your papers directly to IOP Publishing; please contact your conference organizer for submission instructions.
- The paper size is European A4.
- Margins are 4cm (top), 2.5cm (left and right) and 2.7cm (bottom).
- There are no page numbers, headers or footers within the paper.
- Text is single spaced, not double spaced.
- All fonts are embedded.
- All pages are portrait (landscape pages should be rotated).
- The abstract text should be indented 25mm from the left margin and there should be 10mm space after the abstract before you begin the main text of your article, starting on the same page as the abstract.
- The paper includes the author name(s) and affiliation(s) (full address including country).
- All articles must contain an abstract.
- All figures and tables should be numbered in numerical order. Please ensure that figure/table numbers are not duplicated or missed.
- Figures are legible and placed within the text, not collected at the end of the document.
- If section headings are numbered, ensure that they are numbered numerically, and no numbers are duplicated or missing.
- Displayed equations should follow a naming convention in numerical order, i.e. (1), (2), (3) etc or by section, i.e. (1.1), (1.2) etc. Ensure every displayed equation has its own number and none are duplicated or missing.
- Reference lists are checked for accuracy. References can only be linked via CrossRef if they are correct and complete. Check the templates and guidance page for further reference styling information.
- If numbering references (Harvard system) ensure that references are numbered numerically, every reference has its own number and no numbers are duplicated or missing.
- Ensure that all references are cited in the text and that all citations have a corresponding reference.
- Finally, please ensure that the paper is thoroughly proofread to check the standard of English and ensure wording is clear and concise.
Conversion to PDF
- The PDF file is editable and not password protected.
- The PDF is free of formatting errors (e.g. corrupt equations, missing or poor-resolution figures), since conversion from Word to PDF can introduce formatting errors.
- There are no blank pages.
Templates and guidelines for proceedings papers
These are our templates and guidelines for proceedings papers, they are there to to help you prepare your work.
Please follow these essential guidelines when preparing your paper:
Authors must prepare their papers using our Microsoft Word or LaTeX2e templates, and then convert these to PDF format for submission:
If you would like to submit multimedia to accompany your paper, you might find these guidelines useful:
How to cite an IOP Conference Series paper
The following information is intended to provide an overview of how to cite articles published in the IOP Conference Series titles. Please note that the full publication record for all IOP journals and proceedings can be found in IOPscience.
- All proceedings in IOP Conference Series are published as a single volume of the relevant title. Typically, each volume has just a single issue but very large volumes may be split into two or more issues for ease of reading and navigation.
- Papers published in IOP Conference Series titles use an article numbering system that means that papers should be cited by using the six-digit article number in place of a page number (see examples below).
- Every article has its own unique identifier called a Digital Object Identifier (DOI).
- Articles can be linked via the Crossref system.
- The pages in the PDF file of each article are numbered from 1. These page numbers should not normally be included in a reference. However, if it is desirable to indicate the length of an article, this can be done by including the number of pages, in parentheses, after the article number.
Examples of citations to conference proceedings
References to conference papers should include:
- Year of publication
- Title of conference (in italics, initial letter of each significant word should be capital)
- Mahanta N K and Abramson A R 2012 Thermal conductivity of graphene and graphene oxide nanoplatelets 13th Intersociety Conf. on Thermal and Thermomechanical Phenomena in Electronic Systems
Examples of citations to conference series
- Barry R Holstein 2009 J. Phys.: Conf. Ser. 173 012019
- V V Kramarenko et al 2016 IOP Conf. Ser.: Earth Environ. Sci. 43 012029
- S Adarsh et al 2016 IOP Conf. Ser.: Mater. Sci. Eng. 149 012141
Conference Series: copyright and permissions
The content in IOP Publishing’s Conference Series journals are all published on a gold open access basis.
All of our conference series articles are currently published under a CC BY licence. For further information on what the CC BY licence allows, please refer to this page.
Older conference series articles (published from around prior to November 2012), were not published under a CC BY licence.
You should check the licence on the article itself prior to use. If the article was not published under a CC BY licence or the article does not state what licence the article was published under, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request permission if you wish to reuse any content from the article.
IOP Proceedings Licence
For papers published in our gold open access proceedings titles IOP no longer requires authors to sign and submit copyright forms. Our other journals are unaffected by this change. Authors who wish to publish a paper in the following titles:
- Journal of Physics: Conference Series (JPCS)
- IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering (MSE)
- IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science (EES)
are asked to submit a paper only if all authors of the paper agree in full to the terms of the licence. All papers submitted to us for publication in the above titles will be published according to the following terms and conditions.
Licence terms and conditions
By submitting the paper to the conference organizer, you, as copyright owner and author/representative of all the authors, grant a worldwide perpetual royalty free exclusive licence to IOP Publishing Limited (IOP) to use the copyright in the paper for the full term of copyright in all ways otherwise restricted by copyright, including, but not limited to, the right to reproduce, distribute and communicate the article to the public under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) licence (creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0 or any newer version of the licence) and to make any other use which IOP may choose world-wide, by all means, media and formats, whether known or unknown at the date of submission, to the conference organizer.
This licence does not transfer the copyright in the paper as submitted which therefore remains with the authors or their employer, as appropriate. Authors may not offer the paper to another publisher unless the article is withdrawn by the author(s) or rejected by IOP.
Once published, the paper may be reused in accordance with the terms of the applicable Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) licence, including appropriate citation information (for electronic use best efforts must be made to include a link to the online abstract of the paper on IOPscience), a link to the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) licence, and indicating if any changes have been made to the original paper.
By granting this licence, the author warrants that the paper they are submitting is their original work, has not been published previously (other than in a research thesis or dissertation which fact has been notified to the conference organizer in writing), all named authors participated sufficiently in the conception and writing of the paper, have received a final version of the paper, agree to its submission and take responsibility for it, have read and understood IOP Publishing’s ethical policy (https://publishingsupport.iopscience.iop.org/ethical-policy-journals/) and agree that the submission complies with its terms, and the submission has been approved as necessary by the authorities at the establishment where the research was carried out.
By granting this licence, the author also warrants that they act on behalf of, and with the knowledge of, all authors of the paper, that the paper does not infringe any third party rights, it contains nothing libellous, all factual statements are, to the best of the authors’ knowledge and belief, true or based on valid research conducted according to accepted norms and our ethical policy (https://publishingsupport.iopscience.iop.org/ethical-policyjournals/), and all required permissions have been obtained.
The IOP Proceedings Licence Notice
The IOP Proceedings Licence Notice should be displayed as:
‘Published under licence in Journal Title by IOP Publishing Ltd.
Content from this work may be used under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International licence. Any further distribution of this work must maintain attribution to the author(s) and the title of the work, journal citation and DOI.’
Where Journal Title is one of:
- Journal of Physics: Conference Series
- IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering
- IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science
Contact us about Conferences
If you need to contact us about Conferences please send us an email
- IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science: email@example.com
- IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Journal of Physics: Conference Series: email@example.com