In response to feedback from the research community, IOP Publishing makes articles available online within 24 hours of acceptance. This is conditional on receipt of a completed assignment of copyright and publication agreement (‘copyright form’) and on confirmation that the author has permission to include any third party content, where applicable.
Making the accepted manuscript available has a number of benefits for our authors, including;
- Earlier opportunity for research to be read and cited
- Authors can promote their work as soon as it is accepted by their peers – maintaining the momentum of the publication process
- For biomedical authors, research will be indexed in Medline sooner: Medline will class these articles as ‘ahead of print’ and will update their status once the final version of record is published
- Improved opportunities for funding approval as researchers can list their work earlier.
Open What's the process for Accepted Manuscripts?
Once the acceptance decision has been made and we have received a signed copyright form, the accepted version of the manuscript will be made available online within 24 hours of acceptance. This version of the manuscript will not be language-edited or typeset and will be provided as a flat PDF. We will continue to work with authors on the production of their article, and the final version of record will replace the accepted manuscript version once this has been completed.
The accepted manuscript will be available as a PDF on the journal website. It will be the same as the version accepted for publication, with the original figures and formatting. We will then continue to work with the authors to improve the paper for the final version of record. In order to make the accepted manuscript available as efficiently as possible, we are only able to make a watermarked PDF version of the original source file available online. Any supplementary content will be made available when the final version of record is published.
Open Can I opt out of Accepted Manuscripts?
For most researchers there is no reason to opt out of this process. However, researchers planning promotional activity, like a press release, either with us or their institution, may wish to opt out to maintain the traditional embargo period for journalists. Also, researchers currently engaging in IP or patent applications may wish to opt out of accepted manuscripts. Authors who wish to opt out can select ‘No’ when answering the following question in the submission form:
Author manuscripts are made available on IOPscience within 24 hours of acceptance. At this point, the manuscript will be made available on the journal’s website with a Digital Object Identifier (DOI) and will be fully citable. For more information about our accepted manuscript policy please refer to our accepted manuscripts FAQs.
Would you like your accepted manuscript to be made available online within 24 hours of acceptance?
Before the article is accepted, authors can contact the journal to change their selection. However, as soon as the article is accepted the process will be automatic, so whichever option has been selected up to that point will be immediately applied and cannot be changed.
Open What appears online as part of the Accepted Manuscript?
- Title and abstract: these are taken from those entered on the submission form. Therefore, please check and ensure these are correct and do not include any LaTex coding.
- Author(s) and affiliations: these are taken from ScholarOne account details. Therefore, please check and ensure this information is up to date and matches the manuscript PDF. Please note: only one primary affiliation per author is supported for the Accepted Manuscript, this will be updated for the final published version of the manuscript.
As the main manuscript information that appears alongside the PDF is taken from data entered by the author in ScholarOne, we advise authors to carefully check over any text entered during the submission process. In particular, we recommend using the ‘Special Characters’ functionality in ScholarOne to insert any non-standard formatting and text wherever possible, e.g. for LaTeX code. This will help to ensure that the manuscript information is accurately displayed when the Accepted Manuscript in made available online.
Open Can I make changes to the Accepted Manuscript before the version of record is published?
As the Accepted Manuscript has entered the scientific record, we do not make changes to the Accepted Manuscript version once it has appeared online. Typographic mistakes and other alterations can of course still be made to the manuscript at the proof stage before the final version of record is published.
Open Can an Accepted Manuscript be withdrawn or retracted?
Yes. As a member of the Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE), we will investigate any scientific or legal concern regarding an accepted manuscript following the COPE guidelines and retract the manuscript if needed.
Open Which journals publish Accepted Manuscripts?
The following journals all publish Accepted Manuscripts:
- 2D Materials
- Bioinspiration & Biomimetics
- Biomedical Materials
- Biomedical Physics & Engineering Express
- Classical and Quantum Gravity
- Computational Science & Discovery
- Electronic Structure
- Environmental Research Communications
- Environmental Research Letters
- European Journal of Physics
- Flexible & Printed Electronics
- Fuid Dynamics Research
- Inverse Problems
- Journal of Breath Research
- Journal of Geophysics and Engineering
- Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering
- Journal of Neural Engineering
- Journal of Physics A: Mathematical and Theoretical
- Journal of Physics B: Atomic, Molecular and Optical Physics
- Journal of Physics Communication
- Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics
- Journal of Physics G: Nuclear and Particle Physics
- Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter
- Journal of Physics: Energy
- Journal of Physics: Materials
- Journal of Physics: Photonics
- Journal of Optics
- Journal of Radiological Protection
- Materials Research Express
- Measurement Science and Technology
- Methods and Applications in Fluorescence
- Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering
- Multifunctional Materials
- Nano Futures
- New Journal of Physics
- Nuclear Fusion
- Physica Scripta
- Physical Biology
- Physics Education
- Physiological Measurement
- Plasma Research Express
- Plasma Physics and Controlled Fusion
- Plasma Sources Science and Technology
- Progress in Biomedical Engineering
- Progress in Energy
- Quantum Science and Technology
- Reports on Progress in Physics
- Semiconductor Science and Technology
- Smart Materials and Structures
- Superconductor Science and Technology
- Surface Topography: Metrology and Properties
- Translational Materials Research
Open How do I cite an Accepted Manuscript?
As the DOI remains constant, we recommend the inclusion of the DOI when citing the accepted manuscript. The exact syntax of the citation will differ between reference styles, but we suggest e.g.: Author, A, Author B, and Author C 2016 New J. Phys. https://doi.org/10.1088/1367-2630/aa0000
Open Will the Accepted Manuscript be indexed?
The DOI and metadata will be registered with Crossref and indexed by Google for discoverability. Relevant papers will also be indexed in PubMed. PubMed will class these articles as ‘ahead of print’ and will update their status once the final version of record is published.
Currently Web Of Science, SCOPUS and other services do not support accepted manuscripts, but if they decide to do this we will do the necessary work to allow them to index the relevant metadata.
Open Will the Accepted Manuscript have a DOI?
Yes, and we will also show some basic metadata that will include the date the manuscript became available online, author names, and affiliations where available.
When the version of record is available this will be published with the same DOI to ensure there is a consistent reference for citing the work.