Terms & conditions
This page details the terms and conditions that apply for all users of the IOPscience service.
Terms and conditions of reuse of journal content can be found on the User terms and conditions page.
Subscribers are also bound by the following terms and conditions.
IOPscience terms and conditions
References to “IOP” mean the Institute of Physics and/or IOP Publishing as appropriate. References to “this website” are to the IOP website from which the user is linking to these Terms and Conditions – http://iopscience.iop.org/
Please read this document carefully. By accessing or using any part of this website, you are agreeing to be bound by all of these Terms and Conditions. If you have any questions, e-mail email@example.com. These Terms and Conditions were last updated on 19 October 2012.
The Institute of Physics group consists of the following companies:
Institute of Physics (a charity registered in England and Wales, and Scotland)
IOP Publishing Ltd (a company incorporated in England and Wales)
IOP Publishing Inc. (a Pennsylvania, USA non-profit corporation)
IOP Enterprises Ltd (a company incorporated in England and Wales)
IOP Educational Publishing Ltd (a company incorporated in England and Wales)
IOP Publishing Consultants (Beijing) Co. Ltd (a wholly foreign owned enterprise registered in China)
IOP Marketing and Promotion Services Private Ltd (a company incorporated in India)
Turpion Ltd (a company incorporated in England and Wales)
Turpion-Moscow Ltd (company incorporated in Russia)
IOP Business Publishing Inc (a Pennsylvania, USA corporation)
Using this website
This website is maintained by IOP for personal viewing and use. For the purposes of these Terms and Conditions, all references to the “user” are to any person who accesses or uses this website or any of the services provided by it, whether on their own behalf or on behalf of an organization or institution that they represent.
1. User names and passwords are not transferable and the user must keep them strictly confidential and secure.
2. The user will use this website only in accordance with these Terms and Conditions and only for lawful purposes and in a lawful manner.
3. If the user submits information for display on this website then they are responsible for ensuring that it is true, accurate, complete and up to date, and for updating it whenever necessary. The user is also responsible for ensuring that no data are uploaded or submitted that are defamatory, obscene, abusive or otherwise objectionable or in breach of any applicable laws or third-party rights.
4. By submitting data for display on this website, the user warrants that they have taken all reasonable precautions to ensure that they are free from viruses and anything else that might have a contaminating or destructive effect on any part of this website or any other technology.
5. The user will make no attempt to undermine the integrity of this website or any of its content, and will not adapt or circumvent the systems in place in connection with this website nor access it other than through normal operations.
6. Systematic downloading of files is prohibited.
7. IOP takes the privacy of its users very seriously and is committed to safeguarding that privacy. Refer to IOP’s Privacy and Cookies policy for more details.
8. The terms of IOP’s Disclaimer are incorporated within these Terms and Conditions.
9. This website makes available various article level metrics, as detailed in the document article level metrics on IOPscience.
10. From the metrics page for an article available on IOPscience, users are entitled to download only the IOP download statistics and the video abstract views data for that article. Such downloaded statistics and data must be solely used by the user on an individual basis for non-commercial purposes.
11. All other article level metrics made available via IOPscience from third party services may only be used (other than viewing them on IOPscience) strictly in accordance with the relevant third party’s terms and conditions of use, which are available by linking to the third party’s website from the metrics pages of IOPscience. The user is solely responsible for ensuring that it has sufficient rights from the relevant third party to make any use of such metrics (other than viewing them on IOPscience) and IOP does not make any warranty or representation as to a user’s ability to use such metrics.
12. IOP and third party article level metrics made available via IOPscience must not be systematically downloaded or harvested in bulk. In addition, no user may use IOP’s article level metrics service on IOPscience to harvest in bulk or systematically download data from any third party who provides article level metrics for IOPscience.
13. Under no circumstances must article level metrics made available via IOPscience be used by any user for commercial purposes, other than to the extent expressly permitted by the terms and conditions of the relevant third party provider.
15. Any information submitted by the user, other than personal data that are covered by IOP’s Privacy and Cookies Policy, will be treated by IOP as non-confidential and IOP shall be entitled to reproduce, distribute and communicate that information to others without restriction and without obligation.
16. Without limiting its rights to seek other remedies, IOP reserves the right to change, alter or remove all or part of this website, temporarily or permanently, and without notice and without liability. This includes the right to remove offending material placed on this website by the user that IOP considers to constitute misuse of this website or to be potentially harmful to other users.
17. These Terms and Conditions are in addition to, and supplement, any other Terms and Conditions that the user is required to accept in order to access any of IOP’s specific goods or services on this website.
18. IOP will use its reasonable endeavours to allow uninterrupted access to this website but access may be suspended, restricted or terminated at any time.
19. IOP has the right to amend these Terms and Conditions at any time and continued use of this website after the change will be deemed as acceptance of the changed Terms and Conditions. It is the responsibility of the user to check the Terms and Conditions frequently for changes and to discontinue use if the user is unhappy with the changes.
20. IOP reserves the right to prohibit access by persons to all or part of this website or the services provided on it at its sole discretion
21. Each provision of these Terms and Conditions shall be construed separately and independently of each other and the invalidity of any one part shall not affect the validity of any other part.
22. English law governs these Terms and Conditions and the English courts have exclusive jurisdiction to determine any disputes.
If the user has any questions or comments about these Terms and Conditions, they should contact:
Group Legal Adviser
Tel +44 (0)117 929 7481
Fax +44 (0)117 929 4318