Researchers from Norway
IOP Publishing (IOP) has an agreement with a number of Norwegian universities through the Unit consortium to allow university libraries to manage the cost of hybrid, and for some institutions gold, article publication charges (APCs) for open access publishing alongside their annual journal subscription costs. IOP Publishing will locally offset the bulk of the APC of qualifying hybrid articles with the institution’s journal license fees.
This enables authors to publish on an open access basis at no cost to themselves, and comply with any funder mandates for open access. The majority of libraries will fund validated articles directly with IOP, and no action is needed by authors.
All IOP and selected partner subscription titles that offer a hybrid open access option are included in the agreement.
Click here for a list of hybrid titles that are eligible for automatic identification. IOP’s gold open access journals are listed at the bottom of this page.
How to take advantage of the agreement
This process applies to all primary research article types: Letters, Papers and Special Issue articles. Review articles may be included on request.
1. At submission
The corresponding (submitting) author must be affiliated with a member institution. When you submit your article please supply your affiliation clearly in the article submission form and in the article itself.
2. At first decision
You will be notified of identification during the peer-review process after the first decision phase, and your paper will automatically be opted in to open access. You may opt out at any time.
3. Upon acceptance
IOP Publishing will validate the article with a dedicated contact at your institution to approve funding. If for any reason funding is declined, you will have the option to find alternative funding or return to publication at no charge on a subscription basis.
All validated articles are published with a CC-BY license at no cost to the author, and comply with any funder mandates for open access.
If you are at an institution without automatic identification, or you have not been alerted before your article is accepted, you should contact the journal and your university’s open access team to establish whether your APC can be covered by the library. Relevant contacts for each participating institution are listed below.
Central payment and automatic identification of articles (hybrid and gold)
- Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) (contact: email@example.com)
- UiT The Arctic University of Norway (contact: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Oslo University Hospital – UiO (contact: email@example.com)
- University of Bergen (contact: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- University of Oslo (contact: email@example.com)
- SINTEF (contact: OAfirstname.lastname@example.org) (hybrid journals only)
Authors need to contact the library for funding
- Institute for Energy Technology
- University of South-Eastern Norway
- University of Stavanger
Gold Open Access Journals
- IOP SciNotes
- New Journal of Physics
- Materials for Quantum Technology
- Materials Research Express
- Nano Express
- Journal of Physics: Complexity
- Journal of Physics: Energy
- Journal of Physics: Materials
- Journal of Physics: Photonics
- Machine Learning: Science and Technology
- Environmental Research Communications
- Environmental Research Letters