Journal of Physics A: Mathematical & Theoretical: 2016 Reviewer Awards
Reviewer of the Year: Dr Jukka Kiukas, Aberystwyth University, UK
A lecturer in the Department of Mathematics at Aberystwyth University, Wales, Dr Jukka Kiukas finds that the papers he reviews for the Journal of Physics A: Mathematical and Theoretical complement his own research. One paper that recently piqued his interest deals with dynamical aspects of temporal quantum correlations: Divisible quantum dynamics satisfies temporal Tsirelson’s bound.
The journal reports on the mathematical structures that describe the physical world and on the analytical, computational and numerical methods for exploring these structures. Thus, when reviewing a manuscript, Dr Kiukas insists on mathematically rigorous arguments.
If the content of the article is on a subject Dr Kiukas knows well, he expects to be intrigued by the results or to learn something new. For this reason, authors should ensure that their paper does not significantly overlap with other published papers and include a well-written introduction that explains why their work is relevant.
Dr Kiukas’ advice to first-time reviewers is to seek out the main points in the manuscript. If the significance of the paper is not obvious, then the reviewer should ask the author to put forward their message more clearly. This constructive criticism is far more valuable to authors than singling out more minor issues, he says.
Knowing that everyone appreciates a timely review, Dr Kiukas believes all researchers should put some effort into reviewing.
- Dr Elena Agliari, Sapienza Universita degli Studi di Roma, Italy
- Dr Olivier Benichou, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, France
- Professor N Bogoliubov, Russian Academy of Sciences – Steklov Mathematical Institute, Russia
- Dr Manuel Calixto, Universidad de Granada, Spain
- Professor Junpeng Cao, Chinese Academy of Sciences – Institute of Physics, China
- Dr Omar Cherbal, USTHB University, France
- Dr Andrey Cherstvy, Universitat Potsdam, Germany
- Dr Cesar de Oliveira, Universidade Federal de Sao Carlos, Brazil
- Dr Davide Fioravanti, INFN, Italy
- Dr Euihun Joung, Seoul National University, Republic of Korea
- Dr Karol Kozlowski, Ecole Normale Suppérieure de Lyon, France
- Dr Alexander Manashov, Hamburg University, Germany
- Dr Carlos Mejia-Monasterio, Technical University of Madrid, Spain
- Professor Marijan Milekovic, University of Zagreb, Croatia
- Dr Miquel Montero, Universitat de Barcelona, Spain
- Professor Gleb Oshanin, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, France
- Professor Matteo G A Paris, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Italy
- Dr Jesus Salas, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid, Spain
- Dr Gregory Schehr, Universite de Paris-Sud, France
- Professor Gunter Schuetz, Forschungszentrum Juelich, Germany
- Dr Hugo Touchette, University of Stellenbosch, South Africa
- Dr Linus Wulff, Imperial College London, UK
- Dr Honghua Zhong, Jishou University, China