How to cite an IOP Conference Series paper
The following information is intended to provide an overview of how to cite articles published in the IOP Conference Series titles. Please note that the full publication record for all IOP journals and proceedings can be found in IOPscience.
- All proceedings in IOP Conference Series are published as a single volume of the relevant title. Typically, each volume has just a single issue but very large volumes may be split into two or more issues for ease of reading and navigation.
- Papers published in IOP Conference Series titles use an article numbering system that means that papers should be cited by using the six-digit article number in place of a page number (see examples below).
- Every article has its own unique identifier called a Digital Object Identifier (DOI).
- Articles can be linked via the Crossref system.
- The pages in the PDF file of each article are numbered from 1. These page numbers should not normally be included in a reference. However, if it is desirable to indicate the length of an article, this can be done by including the number of pages, in parentheses, after the article number.
Examples of citations to conference proceedings
References to conference papers should include:
- Year of publication
- Title of conference (in italics, initial letter of each significant word should be capital)
- Mahanta N K and Abramson A R 2012 Thermal conductivity of graphene and graphene oxide nanoplatelets 13th Intersociety Conf. on Thermal and Thermomechanical Phenomena in Electronic Systems
Examples of citations to conference series
- Barry R Holstein 2009 J. Phys.: Conf. Ser. 173 012019
- V V Kramarenko et al 2016 IOP Conf. Ser.: Earth Environ. Sci. 43 012029
- S Adarsh et al 2016 IOP Conf. Ser.: Mater. Sci. Eng. 149 012141