Rights and Permissions (R&P) FAQs
These FAQs are intended to give a general overview of IOP Publishing (IOP)’s copyright and permissions policies. There may be exceptions to the answers for some journals. For further information, please refer to our main pages on copyright, permissions, author rights and open access.
Open What are the different versions of my article called?
It is important to understand which version of an article you are reading and what rights you have when you publish with IOP. Is it the un-edited manuscript, the peer-reviewed manuscript, the final version or one that has been corrected post-publication? The following are our current definitions of the different versions of an article and apply to both subscription and gold open access articles.
- Author's Original/Preprint
- is 'the version of the article before peer review or editing, as submitted by an author to the journal'.
- Accepted Manuscript
- is 'the version of the article accepted for publication including all changes made as a result of the peer review process, and which may also include the addition to the article by IOP Publishing of a header, an article ID, a cover sheet and/or an 'Accepted Manuscript' watermark, but excluding any other editing, typesetting or other changes made by IOP Publishing and/or its licensors'.
- Final Published Version
- is 'the peer reviewed, edited, formatted and typeset version of the article, including any tagging, indexing and other enhancements published by IOP Publishing and/or its licensors'.
- Version of Record
- is 'the Final Published Version, including any post publication corrections or enhancements and any other changes made by IOP Publishing and/or its licensors'.
Open How can I learn more about copyright and open access licensing?
For more information on copyright and open access licensing, refer to our introduction to copyright and licensing in an open access environment guide.
Open Contact us about copyright
Any questions should be addressed to email@example.com.
An initial response to a query will usually be provided within two working days.
Open Contact us about permissions
Any questions should be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We aim to provide an initial response to queries within two working days.